Sutton Lake in North Carolina 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FATFLATTIE, Jan 26, 2009.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just figured I'd start a new one for this year, too lazy to dig the old thread up:smile2:

Randy and I went out for a few hours yesterday afternoon/night. Mainly fished the ditch. Caught two small channel cats, haven't caught any that small in a while. One on liver, the other on shrimp. Randy also caught the first eel I've seen come out of there in about 5-6yrs and it was a biggun'! I also had a couple good runs on some shad and actually had one decent fish hooked up but it popped the hook. After I left Randy said he had a big fish hit but it never got hooked up, pulled the cork all the way down the leader to the hook. Well at least we know they're still in there.

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a good time to me! I've seen one eel come out of that place to, and it was a beast also. That's the one that Jay caught that time.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We used to catch some off the dock back before I had a boat but they were the smaller eels, about the size of the ones they sell at the bait stores. Nobody's gonna catch that one Randy got again, he had a gallon freezer bag with his name written all over it:smile2:

4. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are there any blues in sutton. i fished it 3 years ago on my first catfish trip in NC and caught a 11 lb channel but that was all.

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    i dont think there are any blues but there is some nice channels & flatheads in there the problem i have is being there when they are feeding i,ve done alot more fishing there and not a lot of catching

6. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so what is the deepest section of that lake? i know there are a few sections that itss devided into. and insint there a warm water flow coming from the plant.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The deepest section is the 30ft hole in the 3rd lake. I've never fished it but I hear it's good for channel cats at times. The hot water discharge is in the 1st lake. It's a good lake to fish, I love fishing there. Some serious flatheads in there and some state record size channels, catching them is the hard part. We've had some incredible nights out there catching tons of quality fish and then other nights you sit there and never get a bite. It's just unexplainable. A lot of times though catching bait can be harder than catching the catfish:smile2:

8. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    this is true, that lake is very weird. conditions can be the same all the way around and the bite will vary greatly. When the bit is on there is no other place that i would rather be though.

9. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont know if they still got em but that little bait store up the road used to have printed out maps on 8 by 11 sheets of paper that told what the lake looked like and where the deep holes were at.

I have seen some incradible bass tournement weigh ins at the ramp. and i caught the biggest gar i have ever seen side an alligator gar. it was nearly 6 foot long.

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have not fished Sutton in a while myself.:sad2:.But I have been duck hunting there this year:smile2:. Last time I catfished over there we caught two small channels.Had a good time though.Gonna try to get over there again this year to fish .I hope !

11. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    now i got a question since that lake has a warm water discharge can you catch shad there anytime of the year or is there any even there. cause i dont even know where to look for them on my river and i dont want to have to go all the way down to willimington to put in and just chase shad.

12. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    all the shad i,ve seen in the lake were real small not big enough to fish with chicken livers work on the channels sometimes

13. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well heck even a one inch shad is perfect, run a knife from head down to tail to create your blood and look out.

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't really fished there in nearly over a year now for cats...but the shad are odd. There used to be a flat ton of them in there, and I've personally seen some big enough that if you were around smaller fish, you'd have to cut them in half to use, they are just tricky to find and seem to pop up here and there. The decline in the sunfish population seems to be the biggest concern, as this was the greatest selection for bait possible. Good news, if your get lucky you can get an eel or two...but you're going to have to hunt for bait if you don't bring something along. Once I pick up the yak, I'm going to take a couple of trips down there for old times sake, since I haven't been able to work out a trip with anyone with a boat.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've still never seen the schoolie shad beore. I have seen a few of the really big loner gizzard shad.

16. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Conrad where ya from. i do alot of fishing around sutton and the black and my fishing buddy ditches me quite often to go back to maryland, maybe one of these weekends we can jump boat and go fishing. I got the boat

17. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    about 2 years ago in the early part of the year I came around the bend to the hot ditch to see a massive school of shad at the mouth of the ditch jumping out of the water all the way across it. just as soon as they were everywhere they were no where. it was like coming up on a school of bluefish or something. tried to mark them and net them and neither worked. weird right, but it fits that it happened at sutton.

18. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    thats sounds rite for sutton it,s a wierd lake those fish are not from planet earth they r from a world all their own they appear and dissapear like magic wierd lake but thats what makes so fun to fish you never know what to expect

19. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    Got skunked at Sutton yesterday. Tried fishing the 30 foot hole for crappie only to come up empty handed. Did get lucky and catch a 2 1/2 pound bass on a crappie minnow there though. Decided to go and fish the mouth of the hot water ditch for cats only to get beat to death by the wind. The wind was blowing directly into that ditch with the water white capping. Not sure if I have forgot how to fish lately or not! I have never gone fishing five trips in a row only to be skunked.

20. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm just north around the Jacksonville area. I've got three girls at home and work Monday-Friday, so if you want to go Friday night through Sunday sometime, just give me a few days notice and I'm game.