Sutton lake in North Carolina - 04/08/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by C_wernett, Apr 10, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well after lucking out on the river we decided to hit up some lake cats while throwing baits for bass. Even though it was raining, we caught several smaller bass, and I hooked one on a spinner that was at least 4lbs but she threw the bait. I'd almost forgot about the line we had out for cats when I looked over to see it buckle over! I ran over, made sure the fish was on, and he was deep in a snag! A couple decent manuvers(pulling like there was nothing to lose!), the fish freed up and I battled him to shore. Beautiful dark, 12lb channel! Not the blue I was hoping to catch on the river, but I'm not complaining...oh yeah, then we got some other neat "catches" on the way out!

Attached Files:

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been wanting to try Sutton Lake, but not made it yet. How do you get there from Hwy. 74? Also, what is the best bait to use for those channels on Sutton?

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Conrad, I believe that's the first pic of a bullfrog I've seen posted on the BOC.

10 or 12 of those beauty's would make a fine meal. Sutton's got about the cleanest water in the state. Make's for unpolluted , eatin' fish.

We'd keep the back and legs off the frogs we gigged in Fl. There's a good piece of meat along the back.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow, I don't know if I'm the first to put a bullfrog picture up here, but hey, someone's got to be the first at everything right? I actually caught two by hand that night, and let them go, if we'd been coming across a bunch, I'd more than definately had me some legs for dinner. Haven't cleaned a mess of bullies since I used to snag them back in Iowa.

I think a little people are put off by Sutton, in that its the cooling lakes for CP&L's steam plant there. But, if you know about water quality release regulations, you know that that stuff in filtered through about a million times better than our own tap water before it can be released into a public cooling lake.

Now, to get back to subject, the channels in Sutton. My buddy and I have caught numerous, BIG channels in sutton. By big, I'm talking 10-17lbs. And we've had trips where we'd catch 3 or 4 that size, and trips where we'd only catch a couple. But, if you find them right, you will get worn out. The channels in this lake like to RUN! If you find them in the winter, if you can find fish, and they are pumping, you can catch a mess of 2-7lbs fish with fish over 10 pretty common. If they aren't pumping, be prepared to search for the fish. You'll catch one here and there, but they won't school up like when they are pumping. Also, they scatter out into back lakes during the summer and can be tough to find sometimes. Best baits I've seen are bluegills, cut shad, or find the local threadfin and use them.

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have fished Sutton a couple of times also using chicken livers.Did ok but not like I expected.Fun none the less though.If you have never been over there be careful because the lake is full of stumps.And unless you know the channels(and even that could have a floater in it) it can be hard to navigate,especially at night.

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'd like to try it, but how do I get there from 74?

7. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Coming down 74 towards Wilmington, take (421) NC Battleship exit right before you get into Wilmington. Follow 421 until you get to sutton lake rd (about 4 miles). Turn on sutton lake rd, will be on left easy to miss, and follow to end. You will be @ boat ramp and dock

8. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Went to Sutton Lake this past Sat. , caught a 4lb bass.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't been back to Sutton in several weeks, so I don't know exactly what's been going on down there. I've been spending a lot of time fishing gar on light gear, and targetting less know smaller waters, which has got me into some warmouth just shy of records, bowfin, more gar, fliers, white cats, crappie, and of course, bass. I may try her out again next weekend, as I'd like to get a shot at another big cat. Haven't caught anything over 15lbs. since last November!

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Interesting! I wonder if I have kin down there.