Sutton Lake Cats

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mhbomber, May 7, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I've been out on Sutton Lake about six times and have yet to catch a catfish. The only luck I have had was a couple of bass. As the lake has the nickname "catfish lake" I think I might be doing something wrong. I have been fishing around the deeper areas near the dikes, and the deep area in the 3rd lake. I have used store bought mullet, eel, chicken livers and even hotdogs. Any ideas??

2. carelessthunder

carelessthunder New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What time are you fishing out there? I went Tues. night with squid and did all right.

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I havn't been in a couple of months...where were you fishing? I have been letting my baits sit on the bottom most of the time. Have you had any luck floating baits? Do you go out there a lot?

4. carelessthunder

carelessthunder New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have just started fishing for cats there. I went down there at about 630 in the evening hoping to catch some bluegill/ brim whichever you call them to use as bait. Absolutely no luck. So all I had to fish with was squid. I went to the hole in lake 3 and tied off to a log out there. I have only been there for catfishing one time. I usually just Bass fish there. I'm not that much of an experienced catfisher so I can't really give to much advise. I am on here to learn some tricks myself. By the looks of the ones I have seen though there are some big ones in there. Watch out for the crabs down there though I thought I was getting small bites until I realed in a bluecrab. I would have never thought of a crabs being there. Thought they were only in Salt/Brackish water, but I'm from the north so I guess I can think that.

5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Sutton is brackish water. It is fed by the lower Cape Fear and when the river is low salt backs up from the ocean. You'll occasionally catch a flounder there too...

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There is a ridiculous amount of flounder in the lake now. I think that's what is eating all the bluegill and other sunfish up. My buddy Jason went the other day and got 12 in just a little over an hour the smallest one was 2.5lbs. They are becoming a problem in there if you ask me. All the other predatory fish are skinny except for the flounder. All of them are fat.

7. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that is crazy. I was trying to make a solid hypothesis for why the bream have been thinned out. I just figured that it was the chemicals that the Sutton plant pumps out to kill the nuisance weed that grows on the bottom. I have never seen dead fish but I was sure it was from a fish kill.

8. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Join the club man. Me and a couple buddies spent an entire weekend on that lake because of all the talk and never got 1 nibble. I can't tell you how many hours we spent out there but it was a ton. We used goldfish from the bait shop down the road, we used shiners, we threw everything at that lake but dynamite and nothing. We too could not catch even a sun fish! It will take me a long time to convince my buddies to go back there with me again lmao. Oh well, it's fishing not catching and I learned a few good lessons so all was not lost.

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    me and a buddy used to bass fish there years ago a little and we renamed it to sucking lake :)

10. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    It has always been a tough lake for those who do not know what monsters lurk below you. I will sit for hours to wait for some of the flatties that are in there. I have had hookups with fish I could do nothing with on my strongest tackle out there and that will always pull me back, even if the action crawls. My biggest flattie came from that lake on rod and reel. That is enough to bring me back from time to time.

11. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is the only reason I will go back. It only takes getting into one that big to make you really think about what is down there. It may take me ahwile but I will be back and hopefully the action is better. Maybe late summer?

12. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I tried to go out on the lake yesterday afternoon, but the wind was throwing us around way too much...had to pack it up and go home..Seems like people have differing opinions about this lake. I hear some people say its one of the best places to catch fish around and others, like myself can't seem to catch anything. Other than the river, are there any good places near Wilmington to catch catfish?

13. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i ve been a few times and have caught something at leadt one fish whether its a bass or flattie the last three times i went i caught a 17lb flathead a 15lb flathead and a 5 lb bass, and a good eating size flathead and he was yummy. i have had nights where i didnt catch anything. i have found if you go out there and sit there long enough you ll catch something i mainly use goldfish and cut eel. i would like to use brim but i cant seem to catch any

14. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sutton is an on or off lake i,ve been and caught fish and then notgot a bite all day but when in is on it is fun . never caught a real big one yet . floated corks last summer had a blast must have caught 20 or more all of them were about a pound i,ve caught them up to 10pounds though

15. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    It does seem like the lake is either on or off. I'll go there and not catch anything and at other times have a couple rods bend over at the same time.

I didn't know flounder were a problem there. Does anyone know if flounder gigging is legal there?

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    People do gig out there from time to time but whether it's legal or not I don't know.

17. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    just got back from the lake..had a little better luck catching fish than usual..caught 2 nice bass and two gars, but no luck with the cats. i was fishing in the first lake at the opening of the hot ditch. i used some live minnows bought at the gas station up the road, squid and night crawlers..don't know what i need to do to reel in one of those big channels or flatheads, but i cant complain about a great evening on the lake

18. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Went to the lake last night. It was really windy. I tried my favorite spot but nothing happened there so I tried a new spot. I caught one 10 pound flathead on cut shad. 20 minutes later I caught my personal best flathead on a goldfish. He weighed 31 pounds. It was a task getting it to the boat but luckily he hit my brand new rod and real with 20 pound test. I took some pics but won't know how they came out for a while because it was a barrowed camera and will have to wait for them to be emailed to me.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish Tom! I've got to get out there sometime soon. I haven't fished it but once since it warmed up. Gar were all over the baits and after only fishing one spot we decided to go home. Thanks for the report.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out last night for a half arsed trip. Bait was tough so we only fished one spot. Britton got 1 flathead about 12lbs or so and one gar. I had a nice fish get me hung up and break off. Another couple weeks and the bream from this years spawn will be large enough to use for bait and it'll become a lot easier. The water in lake 1 is already in triple digits in some places.