Sutton Lake Catfishermen!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Brendin0702, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know any pretty decent spots to go catfishing at in Sutton Lake. Does the 25ft. deep spot in the lake hold a lot of catfish?

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The peanut sometimes holds fish during the day during the summer, but I've never had any significant luck there.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've never even fished it but I know there are some channel cats caught there during the day. The T-dock is a pretty good spot to fish if you're stuck to the bank or don't feel like taking the boat out. We caught a couple there the other day.

4. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Can I still catch them off the T dock in the morning and what should I use? Can you use the cast nets to catch brim near the dock in Sutton Lake.

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flathead:big_smile:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue:big_smile:

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can't catch sunfish with a cast net and use them for bait, according to state law. If you want to use them for bait, they have to be caught on "hook and line", because there are regulations on the quantity you can keep. There are shad in the lake though too, and if you can find them, you can cast net them.

9. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Which spot in the lake can I cast net for shad during this time of the year.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That can be a very good question, and honestly it's just going to come down to searching for them, because they won't be concetrated like they are in the winter. If you've got a boat, you should be able to find some migrating through the middle lakes, but I'm not sure. I've always just stuck to what's easier, catching 'gills on a lighter rod, and using them. They are so thick you can get a limit of thirty in 15 or 20 minutes on most cases.

11. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So really in the first lake you can catch bluegill about anywhere on worms or crickets.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    By the T-dock and boat docks is a good place to search for the bream if the wind isn't too bad. If the wind is blowing and waves are crashing in the area it usually isn't going to happen.

13. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Amen to that brother..no place to run..no place to hide!

14. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is there any brim biting in Sutton Lake right now if so where at.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, they're biting right now man. They pretty much bite year round in the first couple of lakes except for about a month or so when they just disappear for some strange reason.

16. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where in the first lake could I catch them at?
    Are there a lot of them?

17. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    First time poster guys,
    We just spent a whole weekend at Sutton and didn't even get a bite!. We fished for hours upon hours day and night. We fished for sun fish to use as bait and never even got a bite fishing for those! We spent time in the "hot ditch up to the walkway bridge, fishing at the bridge and the fallen trees in the channel, we fished the channel straight out from the hot ditch in lake #1, we fished the very deep hole at lake #3 and all around that. We fished some attractors as well. We used some shiners and gold fish hybrids from Roys tackle shop, we used worms and stink bait, and chiken liver. We floated some bait and bottom fished others. We always had 6 poles in the water, and still not even a nibble, nothing. I have never had that bad of a time even trying to catch sun fish for crying out loud. We did run into some very cool people out there though. The guys that were fishing there were always willing to talk and give advice but they weren't catching anything either. Is this lake a poor choice to go for catfishing anymore or did we just miss the mark? Is something going on with this lake right now that is killing the fishing? Is it just too early to be in there right now? Can someone give me some advice so I don't drag my buddies down there again and have the same results. I will have a hard time convincing them to go back after this weekend. Is there a better choice for a weekend trip close to Wilmington?

18. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well the catfish are hanging around the shallow areas around now if you fished them. If you are a beginner to that lake then you have to learn it more. In lake 3 there is a hole around 25' deep that might hold some catfish. Also you could try drift fishing and cover a lot of area. You need to stay in the same area for at least 15-30 minutes before moving and I would advise you to not keep reeling in your pole every 5 minutes if you do that either. You could have tried to find shad too that is probably one of the best baits out there you can use. I dont know about that lake since it stays warm all of the time the fish could be anywhere. 1 more thing you could do is try jug fishing with about 10-45 jugs out. Other than that if they dont bite when doing all of this they might not just be biting anything at all, or the population is low from overfishing but I doubt that will happen. Good luck next time.

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've literally never gone there and not caught any sunfish, espcially if you access via boat. They should have been right up against the brush in the ditch or anywhere along the grass. I could see the cats, they can be tricky at times if you don't know the lake, but there is always a chance.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Conrad, I'm tellin' ya the past two years haven't been half as good as what it used to be. There were several times last winter/spring where I couldn't catch any and like you said it was unheard of. Once it got late spring and early summer it was back on. Now it's kinda hard again. Hopefully it doesn't last long. Only got one in each of my last three trips but that was from the bank with the waves crashing on the bank. Not a good combo. I think me and Jason are going to hit Sutton up this week sometime for some flatties. McLean caught two the last time we went.