Sutton Lake - anybody fished this lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by michaelgriffis, Jun 9, 2007.

1. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    has anyone fished the lake latly? any luck?

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Haven't been there and haven't heard anything...flatties should be on though, I just don't have a way to get out there anymore.

3. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    Haven't been since the last week of May. Only fished for a couple hours and all we hooked was one blue, about 15lb, that my buddy lost at the boat.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you truly had a blue you hooked one of maybe a handfull. My buddy and I have fished there for a few years and caught many, many catfish, and only one of which had ever been a blue cat. Most of the times its large channel cats (7-15lbs and only a couple under) or flatheads. You are actually more likely to catch a flounder there than a blue cat. The guy I fish with has caught one flounder last year, and one this year already.

5. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with Conrad. Fished many days @ Sutton, and have yet to see a blue. But you never know what may be lurking. Have heard of few people catching flounder, but a blue is new to me. But either way, nice catch.:big_smile:

6. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    it sure looked like a blue to me but like i said we lost it at the boat so no telling. it was the first time i've fished there and it was the only bite we got. we hooked it out of the 30 ft hole in lake 3. i wanted to catch some flatheads but we ended leaving before it got dark. i'm used to fishing rivers where we catch fish during the day. me and my buddy can't wait to go back though. any tips would be appreciated!

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've caugth flatheads in there day or night. They usually don't come from the deeper parts. Look for "middle road" structure during the day, and they really spread out at night so sometimes you'll catch on here and there. Don't sit on a spot for a long time...you might get a roamer sooner or later, but your odds are better if you keep probing and move every 20-30min. And don't fish on a FULL MOON. The good water is shallow, and the lake being fairly clear, the fish stay hidden on a high or full moon.

8. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    Thanks for the tips. We're planning another trip there at the end of July. The water temp has got to be high by then, does it affect how deep they are?

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I took my son and nephew there last night and floated some jugs for a little while. We only had two bites. One the hook pulled off(gizzard) and the other didn't get on (shrimp), just kind of swam off with the jug.

We fished the 2nd lake and the 1st lake. We were going into the 3rd but there was someone there and we didn't want to crowd them.

The water was about 92 degrees when we got there but cooled off to about 90 when we left.

some bass fishermen said the hot ditch was around 100 degrees when they left.

I plan to go back again. It was nice out last night with a nice breeze.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I went down in the beginning of June fished the first lake at night over by the reeds in a channel that was 14-18 foot and caught 5 huge channel cats, biggest weighing in at 15 and the smallest weighting in at 12, the ones in my avitar, but I have heard of huge flatties in there. I was fishing with nightcrawlers and livers.

11. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went last saturday and got ran off by the thunder cloud, by while I was there ( early in the am) there was a guy with a 40 pounder and a 48 pounder from the night before. He said he lost one larger than those early in the night.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The flatheads are out. Got the first ones of the year on Monday night. Two were 40+inches and the third was only about 5lbs. We only fished for about an hour. The fishing should start to pick up as the shad have spawned and the bluegills/green sunnies/shellcracker population has finally come back. There was simply no bait for the longest time and now it's finally back and the catfishing seems to be back with it. My buddy caught I believe three on Tuesday night so they are starting to turn on. It should be good for the rest of the year hopefully. It was nice to finally hook up on a flathead! I'll likely be going out tomorrow and maybe Sun. I have a bass tournament there on Saturday night so I'll keep ya posted.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Went out tonight and tried a couple of new spots without so much as a bite. Went back to the money spot and picked up one flathead about 8-10lbs. Had several pickups, but they were dropping the bait. Had some nice hits on the channel cat rods as well, but they weren't hooking up either. Overall I guess it was a nice night. Would have liked to have caught more but 1 is better than none. Caught him on a live bluegill. That's what most of the hits came on. Had a couple hits on shrimp and livers for the channels. If I go on Sunday I'll let ya know how I did.

14. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey Conrad, what do you mean when you say middle road structure? Do you know if Jay has fished Sutton lately, haven't seen him out there in a while.

Next time I hit the lake I'll let you know.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    He may be talking about all of the stuff out on those 5-7 foot flats that make up most of the lake and also right on the drop off from those flats down into the deeper water around the dikes. But that's just my guess.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Here's a picture of the catfish from Friday and the bass from Saturday night in the tournament.

Attached Files:

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well maybe now I'll get the catfish picture in here. Unfortunately I believe that the picture is going to have to be sideways for me to attach it.

Attached Files:

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes, what I was referring to was structure in the transitions areas from deep to shallow water. Let's say a 20' hole with an adjacent flat of 3-6'. During the day I'd look for trees in the 10-15' depth and fish baits live on european float rigs or long enough leaders that they can really kick around and get a fishes attention. At night, they are on the move and can be caught nearly anywhere, especially during the summer in the back lakes, but you might catch one here, on there, and have to move around.

Yeah, definately let me know. My vacation is spent now, which found me finding no Iowa cats this time...which was odd, as the channels are usually THICK up there, and I don't have a reptile show untill Sept. Just gotta get me between other fishing trips! lol

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Caught 5 flatheads tonight. None of them were too big though. Got them all on live sunfish. Didn't have much in the way of hits on the channel cat rods which is odd. Here's a couple of the pictures that it'll let me attach. Caught that was quite a bit larger and two that were about the same size as the ones in the pictures. Actually, I got the larger one, the picture just has to be sideways for me to attach it.

By the way Conrad, I've head a lot about ya. I fished with Jason quite a bit this winter/spring. I met him at work so we talk catfishing all the time. Haven't been with him too much lately. Anyways good to put a face with the name.

Attached Files:

20. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ahh...ok, you're Wes! Yeah, Jay was telling me he had been hitting the river doing some fishing with ya. He's been fishing with his new girl out sharkin' her recently, but he said he's been out to Sutton once recently and he tried the river not long ago. They caught a few small flatties at Sutton and did sqwat on the river.

Yeah, definately nice to put a name with a face!