Sutton - 08/12/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by C_wernett, Aug 16, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I wasn't along this time, but my buddy that runs East Carolina Trophy Cat took a group out, and had a good time! Eight cats total, ranging from 8-32lbs. The 8lber was the only channel cat caught, the rest being flatties averaging 10-15lbs, with a couple 20's and a 32lber. Wish I could have been there, but I had other arrangements for that night. Next time I hope I can be there to get some photos.

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Sounds like a good fun trip. Too bad you couldn't make it.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do with I could have been there. The truth be told, I was fishing a bass tournament on Falls Lake that night. lol

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You were fishing a WHAT tourny. :waaaht: ?????/ Shame on you. I know the catfishing is slow right now, but I wouldn't tell too many people that. :big_smile_2:

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds like they had a great time and caught some nice fish. that is always good to hear.

6. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds good we are hoping to get out on sutton lake this friday or saterday night if all goes well:roll_eyes:

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll be out there probably all day Saturday, as we have a couple of spots for crappie and shellies to catch during the day. Not to mention keep my bassin' warmed up! :tounge_out: Then we'll be fishin' for cats again that night.

8. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    how did you end up doing on Saturday? I was out there myself but only got a 12lb. channel cat all night.

9. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Hey, how is the bassin' on Sutton now. My fishing buddys swear no one is catching anything.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, Saturday proved to be a very slow night indeed. We got two, one 40lbs. and one 20lbs. And there was three hours between each fish! Very lethargic bites, basically just picking the baits up and swimming two or three feet then stopping. We were sleeping on the deck of the boat between strikes. We did really good on shellcrackers and bluegills up to a full pound earlier.

Now, if you go to Sutton and cannot catch a bass, you've got some real problems! lol And there are some beasts for bass in there too. My buddy once caught a 47lb fish with a 5lb bass in its stomach! Our best day we had three bass over 10lbs.

Glad to hear that a channel had been caught. They tend to dissapear a bit during the hot months when most of the lake is over 90 degrees. I haven't seen a channel in there since March or April. But during the winter we catch a bunch of them from 8-15lbs, mostly on cut shad.

11. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have been having trouble getting any channels to bite as well for the last couple of months. Without any water getting pumped in from the Cape Fear it puts all of the good fishing on the back lakes that are unreachable in the boat that I am currently using. Have you noticed if the pipes have turned on at all this summer?

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No not this year at all, though they clearly have sometime in the past couple months as the water level is up a bit from what is what not two months ago. Last year, before they put the gate in front of the back wall, my buddy and I hit it just right when they were pumping, caught one flathead that was 42, and one that was 15, and had one we couldn't stop that broke my buddy off. I'm halfway thinking that the majority of the channels cram into that back canal where the quickest moving, coolest water is going to be. We've been finding flatheads in lakes 7 and 8 last month, but have started to find them in 5-7 in more recent times.

And you can quote me on this, the state record channel that IS going to come from Sutton will smash any current records. Before the record fiasco occured, and it was still that 40lb flattie holding the channel record, my buddy caught a 30+ pound fish out of there during the winter.