Sutherland Reservoir

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by strohcephus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Took a nice 17lb Channel out of the res 02/20/06!!
    Pics are on the way.
    Anytime you guys wanna come out west and go let me know..:)

2. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    As a matter of fact I was debating checking out Sutherland early next week. I've never fished there before but my son has some friends that frequently fish it in the spring. I talked to a co-worker that used to work at Gentleman about it at work last night.

What did you use for bait? Fish the inlet?

Let's hear some details!

3. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The best way to check it out is by using googlemap to get a birdseye view before you go.

You will see where the canal empties into the cooling pond from the power plant, that's where the fishin is hot right now. I just got back from fishin and cleaned another 48 quart cooler of channels today.:)

The shad are thick in the inlet, if you have a net, you'll need one with about a 6-8 ft hande, walk out on the concrete abutment where the fast water comes down the water fall and you'll see the shad thick, just scoop up a net full, the shad are about a pound a piece, so you'll only need 2-3 to fish all day. I've spoken with the game warden and it's okay to scoop net them, illegal, but he's the one to write the ticket and he says its okay.

Anyway I cut the heads off, to get the gizzard, and cut the rest for bait.

Go down where the life buoy (sp) is and fish the channel where it opens up to the lake, you can catch them, 2-4lbs, anywhere on the channel but is easier to fish down there and you'll catch em. (Thats where I caught the big one so be ready.)

Hope that helps, I have to be in GI all week for training:sad: or I'd "volunteer" to go with.;)

Good Luck, any questions let me know. It's a GREAT fishery, just don't tell anyone.:p

Larry

4. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    Thanks a bunch for all the info. If I go it would be Tuesday. It's a long drive to get to the open water, but I've got the fishin' itch real bad. I don't know, sometimes the farther I drive the worse my luck turns out!

I'll let you know how things turn out.

5. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Good Luck, and most of all leave a few for me.:)

6. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    Well I made it to Sutherland with one of my son's friends on Tuesday. Caught a bunch of little ones. Beautiful day. Fished the channel up from where you caught yours. Talked to a local who said he was surprised you weren't there. I told him you had a class in GI. Stopped at Jeffrey Reservoir on the way home but didn't get a nibble there.

7. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Got home today (Thursday), you know where to find me tomorrow!:)

Those fiddlers are everywhere:sad: but hope you had a great time. Anytime you head this way let me know.;)

8. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    We had a good time. We probably should have checked out a few more spots on the lake to look for better fish, but oh well. It was nice to get out.

Nice Picture by the way! If I make it out again I'll let you know.

Take care.