Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bull_head, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    talk of your fish catching adventures here

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    5 years ago a flathead was an unusual occurance in the susquehanna.Now the seem to be well established and I am catching them on a regular basis.I fishd at the mouth of chickies creek Fri. night.Cats were very active from 11:30 to about 4:30 AM.Landed 15 total 12 flatheads up to 12.3# and 3 small channels.I am a flathead maniac.They give me all new hope for catching a monster cat from my river.They say that the 43#9oz state record will fall soon and that it will probably come from the Monongaheila R. or the Alegheney R.I beg to differ the Susquehanna Has the water volume and the forage base to grow a state record.Im busting my ass to be on the receiving end of this honer.:cool2:

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Boc Pappy.The state record should fall soon as far as the water it will be caught all three rivers are possible.I think the record is going to change a couple times over the next few years Im gettin close with my biggest at 40 and another at 39. Good luck to ya.

4. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Hey thanks for the welcome man.You guys are my kind of people.I didnt mean to knock the other rivers.I know thats where the flathead is naitive and those rivers have had alot more time to grow a freak.40# is very impressive.Anything over 20# is a nice fish out east here.Ive set into a few that broke my 30# Silverthread Excalibur like it was 4# test.So I know there are some mosters.

5. chugger

chugger New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey im from nanticoke, and still go back once in awhile , where should i go around there to fish the river

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    any od you PA guys fish the Sus around the conawingo Dam up into river was told some nice flaty was there. We have a tournament there in sept and looking for any info you may have.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't forget the Schuylkill river guys. The stae record will go down by next years pre-spawn.

Tim,
    Conowingo Dam has flatheads!!!! But every one I've seen get caught down there gets destroyed.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    There is talk of these flathead catfish up this wasy and are told not to put them back if we catch em'. I have yet to see, or heard of any "fish stories". So I have to assume they would mess up the eco system. What do you know about what they eat and what would you suspect they would harm? I'd kinda like a new variety of "big-boy" Cats to catch but dont wanna mess with Mother Nature. Can some one fill me in?

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well all I know i that we are having the tournament there and all fish will be return alive back to the waters.. Also at this time Maryland DOES NOT list a flathead catfish for its state record so who ever would cat one. Its would be the state record and we can have DNR do there thing for that. And that would be the only fish that would not be returned at the site, But I would still do everything we can to even got him back alive.

10. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Down south where flatheads were introduced to non naitive waters.they were declared newsence fish because they all but wiped out populations of bullheads and red breasted bluegill.They had to be electroshocked and fished to extermination so that panfish populations would rebound.A flat head is capable of taking prey 2/3 its own body length.So a big flathead eats almost any thing it wants,bass,walleye,trout.No longer is the mighty muskellunge at the top of the food chain,now the flathead has come to town

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    if i can figure out how to post a pic (everytime I do it, it says I have exceeded the limit), I would post pics of huge dead flatheads that are killed. People are scared teh wil decimate the bass, panfish, and shad population.

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    See if i can get pic up how big was this fish?

Attached Files:

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would say around 30 lbs where was the pic from?

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    After the guys gutted it (to make sure it was dead), I weighed it. It was 28 lbs gutted. The stomach contained a 12 inch sucker and a 6 to 8 inch striper.
    she was full of eggs. Her egg sack was like 1 ft long!!!! This kind of stuff happends all the time. People catch them and kill them.

thanks for posting the pic for me.

15. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey all,
    Does anyone know if the flatheads have worked their way up towards the Williamsport area? Goin up for the Little League world series, and got a campsite reserved on the Susquehanna. I read somewhere they have been catching them around Sunbury, south about 45 min from Williamsport.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey guys sept the 9th we will hold a tournament on the susquehanna river at glen cove marina right above the conowingo dam i have a guy from Pa who needs a partner with a boat to fish this tournament . he will pay 1/2 of the cost if anybody has a boat and would like to join us let me know and i can get you two together hell you may even win or a best have a new fishing partner up your way.

17. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wilkes barre-scranton area...Fishing has been good, been catching alot of 8-10lb fish off of livers and bluegills.....
    Planning a big friday day/night trip...lots of bait and 5 guys seeing what we can hook into.....anyone caught a chanell in the Susky over 20lbs? Thats what we are aiming for..I know they are in there.....

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    flattheads could do some real damage to the rivers they get in. i know in the delaware river they are worried about major impacts on american shad, hickory shad, wild trout, walleye, and impacts on all species including channel cats, bullheads, smallmouth, largemouth, all panfish, muski, pike, suckers and stripers. if i catch a flatthead i will kill it, and eat it. no sense in wasting it but flattheads have there own place. i rather take a road trip and catch a flatthead then have them have a large impact on any species right down the road from me. i suggest everyone look some information up from places where flattheads have been introduced and make your own thoughts on the topic.

19. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    im from virgina beach virginia and i came to pa for a reunuon i was gonna fish the saquanna river every night but i forgot my rods man do i feel stupid i am stayed about a block from the river:sad2:

20. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I agree flatheads dont belong in the Susquehanna River but they are my passion and I could not bring my self to kill one. I used to have to travel 4 hours to catch these fish but know there in my back yard and I am loving it. Me and my buddy have caught several fish over 20 Lbs in the York Haven area including a 33 pounder my buddy caught during the flood. I am new here and after i figure out how to I will post a pic of it if I can. Has anyone here fished Holtwood or Long level dam I here there are some real big boys down there. I would assume there is considering that's where they showed up first. I truly believe the state record is coming out of the Susquehanna. These fish are at most 10-12 years old and we have caught a fish at 33 Lbs and 28 Lbs so I know there are fish out there 5-10 Lbs heavier. I would not think we caught the biggest fish out there. I have a feeling the big fish will be piling up in the Warm Waters this winter and remember there thay can forage and grow year around there. The record will go down in the next year to 18 months somewhere between York Haven and the Chesapeake.

Attached Files: