Susquehanna River below Safe Harbor

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by SWeiss, Jul 27, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi guys, Lancaster County fisherman here. Glad to be here.

I've done some catfishing in the past, but quite frankly not seriously. Are there any good locations accessible via the shore that I could try for catfish along the Susquehanna below Safe Harbor dam?

I used to fish a place farther down where Fishing Creek enters the river (northeast of the nuke plant), but the railroad has shut down darn near the entire Lancaster County shore line.

Any ideas?

Thanks fellas!

2. First of all, welcome to the BOC Steve.:wink:

:angry:Second, it infuriates me how Norfolk Southern has been throwing thier weight around this state shutting down most of the previously availiable fishing access locations along our rivers the past several years, and nobody does anything about it.:angry:

:angry:I just happened to notice a brand new sign posted by the high and almighty NFS right on the damn bank where I fish on a tree. Which said location is at least 200 yards from the tracks in the woods.:angry:

:angry:I will be contacting my local township and police to see WTF the deal is. I have been a resident here and fished those banks all my life, and these bastards will not stop me. There is NO FRIGGIN WAY that they own that land and can post it.:angry:

Sorry, just had to vent off that chip on my shoulder bro.:eek:oooh::smile2:

I have no experience on that stretch of water you are asking about, but a lot of these good ol pa boys do and am sure will help ya out:wink:.

F/U NORFOLK SOUTHERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    I've fished down at york furnace boat ramp with perrty good luck before. I dont know how the flathead fishing is there never tried it. Im not but I think there is public acees off of pinnacle rd.

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, Norfolk Southern blows chunks. :smile2: Lots of prime fishing spots, gone.

You used to be able to fish the Muddy Run pump storage reservoir (not the recreation lake), but they've shut that down too. Insurance reasons are the cause. I've seen many huge cats and stripers taken out of that lake.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

5. klkipe

klkipe New Member

State:
    pa
    Steve,

I bank fished twice over there in june. The one time we parked in front of the gate to safe harbor dam, there is an access road we walked back maybe 50 yards and went down over the bank. we fished under the bridge. Caught a few that night the biggest was about a 10 lbs flathead. I would fish this again but there is alot of snags out there.

The other place was I believe it is called Arrow head Marinna it is where Pequea Creek enters the river. We parked in the boat launch parking lot and walked across the railroad bridge fishing the bank on the down stream side of the creek. Again we caught several that night I dont remember numbers. When we fished this there was 5 boats lined up in front of us and they were all catchin fish.

This is a great section of water but is hard to bank fish though. The other problem is the water level is change all night long. We started with 10 ft of bank and at one point were standing in the trees. My old mans been lettin us use the boat but if I cant use it and I got the fever ill be fishin at one of these spots.

Hope this helps.
    Ken

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate the info. I will give the Pequea Marina a try this weekend, weather permitting.

I was out last night at Wissler Run Park (used to be called Fisherman's Park). This is just south of the Muddy Run plant. Lot's of snags there too, until I changed my weight configuration.

I was using flat weights (round with a ring in the top) and lost several of them. I changed up to several barrel sinkers inline above my bead and swivel and had no more problems with snags. I think the barrel sinkers glide over the rocks better because they don't dangle.

I skunked but did have a nice hit, but got too rambunctious and didn't let him run long enough before trying to set the hook.

7. Fish Ugly

Fish Ugly New Member

State:
    PENNA
    Hey nice to see some guys from down my way I've been fishing primarily the pequea creek and doing fairly well by this time next week I'll have a boat and turn my attention to some larger fish. My question, is it safe to eat these fish I have not died yet from eating fish from the pequea.Any way I've heard there has been some very large fish taken right outside the mouth of the creek.I'm JACKED. Keith

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Keith,

The best way to prepare a fish for consumption is to remove the skin, fat, and the blood line. This is where contaminants and heavy metals are stored and the most prevalent. It depends who you ask, but I would say the fish are safe to eat, though I wouldn't be feeding it to a small child on a daily basis.

9. Fish Ugly

Fish Ugly New Member

State:
    PENNA
    No small kids both mine are teenagers which is why I have no time for anything except the rare fishing trip. Luckily my son loves to fish so my wife takes it easy on me. As far as eating flatheads I think if you don't consume to much in a short period you'll live. And they are tasty ( I think they get that way from eating all those smallmouth) but don't tell the bass fisherman or the fish commission or they may start electro fishing.