Susquehanna flathead catfish help

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by saros2500, Jul 5, 2009.

1. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the site and am just looking for some advice. I fish the Susky below the York haven dam near Brunner Island. I'm usually fishing from a boat, during the day and night. I've had average luck with flathead using live bluegill but was wondering if I could increase my odds by putting more effort into catching different bait like suckers and chubs. Another thing i was wondering is what to look for in my particular section of river. It's wide, flat, and fairly shallow (usually 5-6 foot) with a few channels that go to 7-8 feet. I've just been hitting the deepest places i can find. Is this good logic or should i look for something else? Thanks for the help guys this site has been very good to me.

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I perfer using gills and rockbass when I fish the Skuke or the Susky. I know some guys that swear by suckers and bass though. I would be tring the same spots that you are. Just don't be afraid go and look for the boss. I have some good spots but I am always trying new spots in search for the one.:cool2:

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dont know bout your river but Id look for creek inlets, structure like log jams or bridge pilings. Also look for where the baitfish are schooling. The cats wont be far.

4. bill55

bill55 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Hey saros where do you launch from down there? I have a 17' seaark with 40 hp prop---I don't take it in there cause im afraid ill hammer the prop---what are my chances of gettin in and out without big expensive repair bill? thanks for post and be safe---thanks for any info

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We use a 14 foot aluminum v hull john boat with a merc 20 and launch on the east side in Bainbridge (race street). It's right across from Brunner off of 441. Unless the water is reallyyyy low you should be fine, just stay at least 100 yards from the West shore when the water is low and you should be fine. We have never hit anything in there, usually 4 foot is the lowest you'll find out in the main river. I would be more worried if we were fishin for smallies near the bank but we just head out to the deeper channels and drop anchor.

6. bill55

bill55 New Member

State:
    Pa
    thanks for info--gotta give it a shot---you ever launch across from York Haven power plant? Looks like it should be pretty deep in the wash from the plant---again thanks for reply.

7. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've never launched there personally but i know people who have. You should be just fine. Just keep an eye on your depth and polarized sunglasses are always nice for spotting the occasional rock. I would have no hesitation about launching there it's just that I live on the other side of the river and it's quicker to launch at Bainbridge. Good luck!