Susquehanna Channel catfish and stuff

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Jan 22, 2010.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I'm always asking people on the river about catfishing. When I'm talking to them I’m mainly trying to hear what their best channel is or what there friends biggest channel is or what they heard from a friends friend how big of a channel they caught. Mainly I love when I heard about big channels caught near me in the Susquehanna because it gives me a reasonable goal for shoot for. Or when I’m fishing the river at night and not getting a bit for hours, I'll have that story in the back of my head. Even if they are lying about their biggest it still makes me happy.

Hell last year I was fishing the river in march with bass fisherman and the one guy told me he caught a 15lb channel in the hole I was fishing and I almost pissed my pants for how excited I got lol. But the best story a guy told me at a boat launch when I was putting the boat in the water was this. This guy was fishing on the boat ramp and didn’t get off the ramp until the last second, which I was pretty pissed about. But I get out of the truck and start getting the boat unhooked and the man asked me what I was going for and I told him catfish. He said Oh last week me and my son caught over 50 in a hour.(which wasn’t to crazy of a story cuz I had those days before) So I asked him how big were they and he said around 6-7lbs. So I said good for him and it sounded like a great day. Then I continue to get stuff ready and he asked me what was your biggest channel you caught out of here? I said 13lbs 31 inches. The guy looks at me and says Oh thats nothing! My father told me he used to catch channels out of here and throw the catfish over his shoulder and the tail would hit the ground! I knew that was a fake fake fake fake story because the channel would be a world record or his father was a dwarf. So I just acted amazed and went fishing. I didnt want to argue with this guy because all I need is to come back from fishing with my windows smashed outta my truck. #1 rule you need to remember "Dont start any arguments or fights when putting your boat in the water. Start them when your taking your boat out of the water". But ANYWAY the main reason I wanted to post this was the Big Fish program they have for pa.
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/bigfish.htm
    Its only for seniors and juniors but its still cool to see what big fish was caught that year,when its was caught and what they were using. Check it out and check out the other years. I got excited when I saw the 26lb channel caught in the susky around my area:laugh1:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    There's gotta be some huge channels in our area, we just have to be lucky enough to catch them. I thing big bait is the key. I always want to try the big bait but for some reason never do.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

The 13lber I caught last year was on a 4inch long by 3 inch wide piece of chunk bait. I dont know if I can go bigger

4. PA State regulations say that a boat has the right of way at docks and ramps. End of story. Move 'em or lose'm. I've spent a few nights pulling mono off my propshaft and watching somedody racing after thier pole heading off the dock towards my prop. They learn quick where I launch. Now I don't go pulling up to the dock looking to mow the grass, if there is room enough to sneak in bow first I'll accomodate the dock fishermen. It's the wise arses that sit there and watch and act like your on thier property and dare ya. So I give those kind of punks a reason to respool:sigarette: .:sigarette:

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thats why i like when my black lab is along if they won't move when ask they he ask agin for me and they move fast then :laugh1:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Channel cats once they get a certain age and size do not scavenge for food like the smaller ones, but actually become predators and just eat live fish! I observed this fishing in private lakes. If you wanted the small ones, use worms, chicken livers, and cutbait. but if you wanted the freak-of-natures, small baitfish works the best.

Try a 3 inch live bluegill or whole large pike shiners and maybe the mogans would show up.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    An 8" fallfish would be a great bait to try. I use to use them on the west branch susq. under a bobber about 6 ft. off the bottom in the deep holes, worked real good in the daytime when the water was a little stained.

8. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Check out 2004 channel cats in that link. thats my PB At 18 1/2#'s. I got my name printed in Infisherman magazine that year for the Master Angler awards. I also remember seeing a 27#er printed in infisherman 1 year . The mainstem produces some bruisers. I caught a 17 and 17.5 #ers in 1 night. This years was biggest was only 15#. Ive been trying to break 20# for a long time. If I fished channels more. Id probably have one

9. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Good Job man. 18 lber is a monster channel. I'm trying to beat my 13lb PB this year. Also I'm shocked you werent in a magazine for them big flatties you get!:worship:

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    shoot bro, like blacky said pull out some big live stuff I caught some huge channels on some big live chubs. And you always got a chance at a nice flathead 2.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Agree, just get a hold of a fallfish, sucker, or chubb at least 10 inchers long and that's what grandapa channel loves to eat!

12. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Is a 20 lb channel capable of fitting a 10 inch chub in its mouth?

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    With out a problem. A 20# channel can take a biiger bait. Good luck, keep us posted.

14. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    A five pound channel will try to eat a chub that big. It just takes them awhile to get them down.

15. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    The big fish program is open to all. A senior is anyone over the age of 16. Also the rules for catch and release are different than they are for catch and keep. Just about everybody here catches fish that qualify for certificates in the catch and release category.

16. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

didnt know that. thank you.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A 20lb channel will swallow a 10 inch chubb!

Most veteran catfish will tell you, DON'T EVER UNDERESTIMATE WHAT A CATFISH IS WILLING TO FIT INTO THEIR MOUTHS!:handshake:.

18. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Kinda like this? :biggrin:
    http://www.boingboing.net/images/Picture 1-12.jpg

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Gotta agree with Tan, seems if it will fit in their mouth, then it's dinner. have seem some big tails sticking out of their throat at times that were pretty good size, and they was still feeding when I caught one. Those cats.... channels, blues and Flatheads are just hogs.

Not sure if there is any truth or science behind it, but my theory is the older ones like to get that big meal then kick back and relax. Instead of constantly spending more energy to feed on smaller meals.