Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday morning on a solo mission in the kayak to find some blue cats. Got to Conowingo Dam at 5 am with plans to fish there. It was a no-go. The wind was howling and in the same direction as the current so I would have been drifting at several miles per hour and anchoring in that with a kayak would have been foolish. I relocated south a couple of miles to where the transition starts from river current to tidal flow. The wind had blown the water out of the river to the point that the tide was lower than I have seen in a long time. This gave me multitudes of rocks and shelves to beach the kayak on and fish from. I brought strawberry jello chicken as bait to get started with the idea of catching some white perch to use for bait while I was out there. I couldn't find a single perch where I was but that was OK because the chicken worked just fine. The rig was a basic Santee rig and the fish came out of about 6' of water in a rocky boulder field of an area. The bites were slow to come but when they hit, they hit at a full sprint peeling line off the reel. All told I caught 5 blues and about 8 channels. These pics are the first three blues of the morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those look like some dang good fish! Wish I could get a better perspective on them, I'm sure their curves really pop at the right angle.

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were 24, 25, and 29 lbs. I took the pic with the one next to my leg for scale and it doesn’t do it justice. That one was 38” and 29lbs. That may be a new PB but hard to say. There were a couple last year that I didn’t measure that were around that size. When I’m by myself in the middle of the river there’s no one but me to snap a pic so I can’t get a picture of me holding it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Before I bought a GoPro I would lean my phone against my tackle bag on the front of my kayak. Sketchy, but my phone was in a waterproof case with a lanyard on it. So I would tie it off before hand. This is a photo using that setup.
38"L

·
Registered
163 Posts
Awesome write up and pics!!!! I gotta get down there!!! I fish up river for flatties a LOT but I never go down into the tidal area. Thank you for the post and pics!

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,011 Posts
Nice fish!

You can buy these small tripods that have flexible legs. Get a cellphone holder to go on top. Probably use your rod holder to set it in. Got mine from amazon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome write up and pics!!!! I gotta get down there!!! I fish up river for flatties a LOT but I never go down into the tidal area. Thank you for the post and pics!
J. Lewis
Let me know if you decide to haul the boat down to Maryland to hit the tidal Susky. I can give you some suggestions of where to launch and where to look for fish. Always call the Conowingo generation hotline to get an idea of how much water is scheduled to come through the dam. 888-457-4076 It has as much or more effect on water levels than the tide. If the tide is out but they're running water it can be fast current. If the tide is in and they aren't running much water, it can be a pond and then any variation in between.

·
Registered
163 Posts
J. Lewis
Let me know if you decide to haul the boat down to Maryland to hit the tidal Susky. I can give you some suggestions of where to launch and where to look for fish. Always call the Conowingo generation hotline to get an idea of how much water is scheduled to come through the dam. 888-457-4076 It has as much or more effect on water levels than the tide. If the tide is out but they're running water it can be fast current. If the tide is in and they aren't running much water, it can be a pond and then any variation in between.

That is great to know. Couple of my buddies were down there this past winter and did pretty fair with mid sized blues.

I saw a video of a young girl wearing out some real nice stripers. Looked like they caught 8 or 10 of them in a day and they weren't little schoolie fish, they were toads!

As soon as the flatheads go on the spawn I'm prob gonna make a run down to try fpr the Blues down there. Not sure when those stripers are in there but that looks like a blast too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts