suspending baits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CATDUDE, Oct 1, 2006.

1. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey all...i just joined up here a couple days ago. theirs alot of info here, infact too much. im looking for a simplistic way to suspend my bait just above bottom. of course i use topwater corks, but im looking for other options. the 2 main lakes im fishing are heavily populated with crappie and hybrid red ear. thats what most of the locals fish for in these waters.

the one thing i have learned about these type of fishermen is...they throw anything in the water! tires, cinder blocks, christmas trees, volkswagons...anything! im tired of losing rigs due to my cork floating into the cover. so...anyone have any creative solutions to suspending baits? im open to any suggestions. thanks......

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I don't know if this is the answer, but put your weight on the end of your line and put snelled hook above, comeing off main line, this will hold bait from drifting, and off bottom. The other thought is to fish an area and learn where, you dont get hung up. Crappy feed up,
    Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Jim

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    thats the same rig i use and my father too:big_smile:

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heres a rig that works well for suspending fish , but youl need to measure your line to get the depth you want , slip knots wont move less moved if you dont already use this try it

Attached Files:

5. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    This is probably covered elsewhere but what do you use/how do you tie a slip knot.

6. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I buy mine at walmart already tied

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In addition to attaching the weight to the bottom, with one or two hooks above, using something long and skinny for a weight will result in a lot fewer hangups. On my jugs, I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight; other things I've used include a piece of phone/cable wire, doubled and long wheel weights with a hole drilled in one end. Another thing that will cut down on hangups is to use circle hooks rather than "J" hooks or kahle hooks.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try a slip bobber rig or three way rig.

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here are 2 suspendible rigs that I use when drift fishing.

http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=baitfy6.jpg

The one labeled A ill describe it first. With AYou have your main line, then a wieght. From the weight to your hook you cna make it any length you want. For example lets say you want your bait 4 foot off the bottom. Add 4 foot of line further down fomr the weight. Add a bobber that is large enough to suspend your bait but not large enough to bring your wieght off the bottom. This rig is relatively snag resistant, but in the case of a snag up, you will most likely lose your entire rig.

Option B. Use a thinner/lighter line from the hook down to the weight. When you snag up, the wieght will break off and you will salvage the rest of the rig. Make the line and hook as long as you need.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've been wanting to try something. Maybe you can try something new for me. Use a regular bottom rig withbout 18 inches of line off the weight and inject you bait with air using a needle. Don't know if it will work but I've always wanted to give it a try.