Suspending Baits - Does it matter about bobber color?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by misterwhisker, Nov 25, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    when fishing on the bottom and your bait is suspended off the bottom with a bobber, does it matter what color the bobber is??

2. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    had a couple of the better guides say yes color does matter i've been using orange&white or all orange, when using white&orange just put white on the weight side

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have used just about every color, and it doesn't seem to matter. Right now I have all orange and white but have used green, yellow, solid orange and caught fish. The water I fish is pretty murky though.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only time it matters is when you are fishing shallow water. I use solid orange or green now, I had to many fish hitting the white cork in 1 to 5 ft. water. This will cause a complete miss and a tore up cork or a fowl hooked fish that is illegal to keep in tournaments and some states. In deeper water or really murky water the fish can't see the cork so it does not matter then.

5. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    FACT
    I use the orange ones and they get nailed quiet often even in 20+ ft water. Line cuts into cork and have scape marks that look like you ran a file across it and the paint gets knocked off in that area. Its just an indicator that im doing something right when that happens and i will get a hook up soon hehe.

Fact or Fiction
    I hear that you are more prone to having a chance at a stripper if you run the chartruce ones. I can not confirm that. I just took their word for it and kept running orange cause I want to catch catfish.

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive never used a bobber like that! but i think if i was,and didnt want the fish to notice it! i would paint it a neutral color such as brown , to resemble a pc. of drift wood. unless some of you are using the bright colors as a attractant!

good luck

7. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I always used the clear plastic ones, thinking the fish couldn't see them. Why does orange work? Can the fish not see that color in the spectrum? Doug

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    this is something i never thought of. this is an interesting thread.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use bobbers , Carolina rigged , on bottom , 99% of the time . I use 2.5 inch red, yellow , and green bobbers and I've never noticed any difference at all . Besides I really doubt they can see it at night anyways . To me cats are bottom feeders/scavengers for the most part . Those fish see a awful lot of things on the bottom of the lake and aren't gonna be worried about your bobbers colors...just my 2 cents.

-Jim-

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The color has never been an issue for me. And I have used about every color you can think of.
    But some of these clear lakes, it may come into play.
    Pete

11. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never tried using a cork (bobber) to suspend my bait off the bottom. I fish carolina rigged in the James River. How close to the bait is the cork?:confused2: Do you put it right at the bait or somewhere between the bait and sinker? Use a bobber stop or something else? I gave thought to using a lighted bobber to try to draw attention to the bait. Thanks!

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Personally, and especially right now I would stray away from colored bobbers, atleast here on the Ohio because it is crystal clear right now. I will tell you what I do though, I went to the local arts and crafts store, and picked up a bunch of brown corks, just like the ones you would use in a wine bottle, and it does suspend the bait. Plus its brown, so it matches the surroundings. I have stopped this method latley, its just kind of something I forgot to even try anymore, I have caught some fish that way, looks like its time to try it again! But then again, i guess the bright colored bobbers could attract some attention, i guess i would just be afraid it would spook the fish?

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    To anwser your question, I do use a bobber stop to keep the cork or float away from the bait. usually about 6-8 inches away from the bait depending on the leader length.

14. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I rig up the corks I cut the wire spring and take all of the steel wire out of the cork, next after you have your weight and swivel riged tie a knot in the line next a plastic bead then the bobber with the little plastic inserts in place minus the wire , take line through the cork , add one more bead and then your second knot . Keep your knots as close to the bobber as you can . Now your bobber will not slip or move, and it can not come off unless your leader line breaks. I cought a 20# and 191/2 # with this rig last Month.

15. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have used red, red/white, green, yellow and to me even in deeper water I catch more blues on the red corks

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

On a carolina rig 20 to 36 inches long ( I usually run about 24 inches for anchor fishing and 3 foot for drifting) use the 2 inch peg corks and peg it in place about 5 inches from the hook.

17. johnr

johnr New Member

State:
    nc
    As was stated shallow water it could however fishing 10+ ft deep I do not think it really matters to a fish it would appear as just a dark spot/shadow just like a bird setting on the water and they don't get scared by such. A thing I do think effects them is the swivel and weight above the bait. Fishing the ocean trolling for kings or spanish you will get many more strikes with a leader 7+ feet from the swivel, now I know its a different world there vs freshwater but if a cat sees something unusal will it be scared off? Well I fish a min of 3 feet of leader and seem to do well.
    Another thing I find to be bobber related is round vs stick. A round bobber is much harder to pull under try pushing a basketball down vs a baseball bat. I think that that resistance will at times cause a hit and drop it is not natural for it to encounter resistance in nature. Another drawback to a round bobber is setting the hook now you are trying to pull a 2-3 inch bobber thru the water once again drag resistance and pulling it back thru the water 3feet plus deep reduces your power on the hook set.
    I have designed a new style bobber which we will be testing over the next month or so and I will let you know how it works out either pos or it sucks if we like it I may want to send a few out to be tried and get your input before marketing them. If you want to be a tester let me know johnrsleboda@hotmail.com
    Anyway thats my 2 cents and I hope it helps.

18. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    i have thought about pulling out all my corks and painting them black to avoid any confusion with that and my bait but then i thought about what i was thinking and that i was getting into WAY overkill mode... it happens to the best of us