Suspended fish in river currents

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 11, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I was fishing in about 15 foot of water the other night and was fishing on the bottom using about 5 oz of weight due to the river curent from all of the rain we have had recently and not getting any bite on multiple baits, live and cut gills and livers and shrimp. I was marking fish at about 10 feet but couldn't figure out how to target these fish, drifting, using a slip float or other methods. Got any suggestions? Thaks for you help!

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Maybe use a sliding sinker held stationary about 5' from the bait , just have releases on whatever you use to stabilize the sinker's position when you hook/land the fish.

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Actually , scratch that. You must forgive me due to the fact I am currently at work and sleepy:sad2: I would position myself upstream
    from the fish and drift with a slip float , as it is likely these fish are
    waiting for something edible to drift by.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thats where drift fishing works great. Set the rods in the holders at the depth fish are showing up on the depthfinder.
    Or you can use a big float and cast above the boat, allow it to drift down past the boat free lining it down. Then reel it back in. We do this here and its killer. But most times were fishing rock bluffs doing this. Cast up stream and allow the float to drift back down stream. I have and do free spool a float 50 yards like this. And it will catch lots of fish doing it.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm
    Pete

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Seems like you got some pretty good advice so far.THere,s only two choices from the top down with slips or from the bottom up by letting more line out on a sliding rig.Well ,there,s also a three way rig ,where you could set your depth from the bottom.When fish are more than a couple feet off the bottom,I like to drift over them with a big slip float.If the currents running high like you say,then it,s probaly gonna push the other two options closer to the bottom than you want.:wink:

6. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks everyone for all of this good advice, I really appriciate your time and input and look forward to getting back out there and trying to target these fish!

7. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks for the suggestion! Tried taht this weekend with success! I really appriciate your inout and suggestions!

8. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks for the information Pat, I did try the slip flot this week end, but I think I dod't have enoug weight on allow the bait to ride too high in the water or above my target depth. i am going to try this again this week end.