suspended catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by flatheadcat4u, Oct 21, 2008.

1. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    :eek:oooh:any body have any ideas on how to catch suspended cats i tried for two hours monday they were in 20 to 31 feet of water five or six feet up but two days before they were on the bottom and the bite was slow but i was catching them so if youall could help that would be great thanks:roll_eyes:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Slip float. Set it at the depth the fish are at.:wink:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If in the boat I would just suspend my baits at different depthe. 4' to 6' to 8'. Just drift or use a trolling motor if possible to move around. Kind of like spider rigging for crappie,

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nate Cats will suspend this time of yr like most game fish.Someime's its because they are on a feed and other times it's the water temp or barometre pressure.But you alwas need to be above them when the are suspended.Better to be 3' above than 1" below.

But in most cases they are on the move and hard to follow.Have plenty of juice in the trolling motor.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    nate,you have to use a heavy weight (4-6 oz) to keep your bait directly down at all times and you are gonna have to use your electronics to watch your bait fall to the correct depth where the fish are.john jamison and his partner used this technique to finish 2nd at the classic in 2006.they call it vertical fishing or dropshotting

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I use my armspan to measure how deep my line is. I figue my span is almost 6 ft, and 1/2 that if I just go from fingertip to center of chest. so I can within 3 ft of any depth where the fish are suspended.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, why would 3' above and 1(") below, make a lot of difference?:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey, I just look on my X-16 Lowrance paper graph, and see where my bait and weight are:smile2:, course that'd be hard to do with a "YAK":roll_eyes::smile:

I know, I know, but I'm just in a controversial mood tonight:roll_eyes::smile2:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Suspended cats are tough to catch because a lot of times they are not actively feeding. You catch one once in awhile, but for the most part it's a pretty slow process. One thing that will often work is to find a nearby hump or shallow area that comes up to the level of the suspended fish, and fish on or near the bottom there. The theory is that catfish are primarily bottom feeders, and will suspend when there is low oxygen in the deeper water. When feeding time comes, rather than diving down into that deeper water, they will look for nearby areas where the bottom comes up to meet the better oxygenated water. By targeting those areas you are more likely to find the active fish.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gary, you're absolutely right, specially on Milford anyway. There are some humps not to far from the dam which is 60+ft and they'll move there some times. Mostly they hold right under the HUGE schools of shad in the deeper water though. The Wipers and Whites will be right under the shad, the Blues will be closer to the bottom feeding on whatever the Wipers kill and miss that drift down.

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Jim, I'm of the belief that fish can hear the fishfinder. So I try to find where the fish are suspended and the structure I'm fishing and then shut the FF off. So thats why I measure my line depth. Whether cats can hear it or not I dont know Its just what I think.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Try catching them when they of the bottom and have your bait below them and you will know then what i mean.:wink:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jim, I'm just a novice drifter, but what I have seen is right on with what you are saying. Sometimes it’s more productive to just drift through the shad schools with the bait on the bottom rather than trying to target what you think are catfish on the sonar.

Casey, From what I understand they can hear it. The more important question is, do they care? I tend to turn off my sonar when fishing close to the boat, but a lot of guys leave it on all of the time and still catch plenty of fish. I dunno the answer, but unless I’m gaining some immediate benefit from leaving the sonar on, I’ll do like you and err on the safe side by turning it off.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey and Gary, never entered my mind that the Cats could hear/feel the sonar waves, mine is always on and doesn't seem to affect the catch rate, IF they're biting? But now I recall reading about something about that from a "professional bass fisherman":wink: I think, based on what I've read about Catfish, they're much more receptive to outside influence(?), to include the possiblity of sonar noise, electrical impulses, etc.(?)

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yes they can hear it. No, they don't associate it with any danger. They are
    looking for something to eat. On the other hand, don't drop anything on
    the bottom of the boat. That's a loud noise and it will startle them. If they
    aren't startled and see something worth eating they will move beneath it
    and get a better look at it. If it looks promising, they will follow for a while
    below and behind. A tiny drop and rise on the target might trigger them
    to pop up and grab it at that point.

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Its not that I think the FF startles them, its more that it may annoy them, and they move on. Or maybe it distracts them from the bait I'm offering.

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The thing to remember is that sonar is now something that they have heard
    everyday of their remarkably shorter lives. And that hard to hear backround
    noise is no clear danger to them. Now something like a full throttle outboard
    would let you know that there is a shock wave headed your way. That
    would make you go deeper to avoid the turbulence. Generally, a suspended
    fish is loafing around seeing what's up, not turned on, maybe a bit peckish
    on the issue of food, trying to stay in the water that is not stuffy or low
    in oxygen. Now if they sense a bunch of white bass chopping at the bottom
    of a school of shad, the natural thing is to move under the action to jump
    the wounded bait separated from the bait ball. Put a bait down there and
    you will have their undivided attention. Just guessing of course since I
    don't know how to interview catfish before releasing them. I do have an
    active imagination, read a lot of research on sensory systems and have
    way too much time on my hands...

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One thing that probably matters is how close you are fishing to the boat. I doubt that it affects them much if you are dragging (drifting with the bait dragging maybe 100 feet or more behind the boat), and I doubt it matters much if you are fishing strait down in 40 feet of water. But sometimes you end up fishing a lot closer to the boat than that, and that is when I turn off the sonar.

Does it make a difference? Absolutely, it makes me feel like I have a better chance of catching something :smile2:, but I'm not so sure it makes a difference to the fish.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, I don't know about other boats, but on the Catoon, we'll throw empty beer cans in the bucket, drop what ever, hit the tubes with a sinker, and still catch Cat's, still fishing on the river or drift fishing on the lake:smile2:

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, another one for you, reference the boat going full out past you. I've given them the best cussing out I can when they motor over about where our baits are drifting on the bottom closer than I think they should be, where we haven't had a bite for awhile, and "Holy Mackerel" they speed by and damned if me or Jerald don't catch a Cat? I still cuss'em out just not quite as bad, some times I hope they do it again:smile2: I don't know if it agitates them, excites them Cats or what, but it's happened to many times to just be a coincidence.:confused2: