Suspended bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by channelcathunter64, May 11, 2008.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    what is a good method for gills when there suspended close to the top of the water, i was thinkin maybe a popper or a fly that resembles a mayfly or cricket

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use a small bobber above about an 12 to 18 inch leader with a #8 hook and a piece of worm. Cast beyond the gills then reel back in about a foot at a time jerking the bobber to get their attention then stop and let the worm slowly fall. Keep doing this and eventually on will hit the falling bait.:wink:

3. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Blake, Jack's right. Take a cricket and bobber and make believers out of them! Another trick we use here in West Tennessee is a small rooster tail. It may take a few different ones to determine the best color but that has become my 'goto' bait for spring bluegills. At least it is until they actually go on the beds and then I am back to the cricket under the smallest cork I can throw well. Do all this on a 5.6 ultralight pole and small reel with 4 pound test and you are about to have all the fun fishing can provide. The good Lord knew what He was doing when He limited bluegills to only a pound in size or so. Otherwise, they would pull us out of the boat!!!
    J

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with alot of them using a bobber and a small hook and usually I catch them on either wax worms or crickets, also red worms are good bait also for bluegill good luck keep us posted how you do.

5. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I usually use a 1/64 leadhead jig with a small piece of worm, cast it out with no bobber or additional weight, and reel it through them very slowly. Works pretty good, especially when they are biting very lightly.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I agree with the worms and bobber. And bluegill are definitely a good fight. They put up more fight than most bass that I've caught - which raises the question - what's so great about bass?!?!:eek:oooh::big_smile: Seriously though, I enjoy catching any fish that wants to get on the line. My daughter and I were joking the other night, telling the fish that we had to see their ID before we could let them take the worm! Yes, I talk to the fish!!:big_smile:
    Deb

7. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ever heard of georgia giants? my cousin owns a feed and seed store in griffin ga. He has a pond stocked with ga giants, the guy he got em from said the biggest as of late 2007 was like 5 lbs they expect em to get 8-10 lbs!! Better get bigger gear!!! lol

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blake,I use thill brand balsa floats in an assortment of styles and sizes. I like to use a small slipfloat and set it accordingly as the fish move up or down. Also I make a mini spinner bait by joining a safety pin type spinner to a 1/32 oz gitzit jig and casting in likely spots .