Suspended Blue Catfish - any advice?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by BAREFOOTFISHN, Nov 14, 2008.

1. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I have heard that blues are often supended over deep holes in the fall and winter. Does anyone have any good advice on this matter? :confused2:

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Chris, in the fall and winter when there is no thermacline. Cats can and do suspend thru the water column. Thats why alot of striper fisherman catch blues on suspended rigs 5 to 15 ft from the bottom on live gizzard shad and live herring.:wink: Hope this helps
    Pop Pop

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Have had some good luck on supended Blues

4. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Blues will stay that way until the weather starts to warm up. You should have pretty good luck with them up through early spring.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Interesting! We'll have to try that approach, Chris! Might be why I did not have much success last winter. Might have been fishin' below 'em.
    BB in SC

6. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I caught 3 last week fishing 16' down in 42 foot of water on live bait while striper fishing,smallish 3 pounds or so.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Blues are not bottom dwelling fish. They will suspend and I have caught alot of blues and channells in the river fishing cut bait under a cork. Rule of thumb is a fish will come up to feed but they wont feed on stuff below them. To fish some heavy eaddy spots(whirls) in the river sometimes I will get above river of it and put out about 6 rods above the whirl and take a big cork and suspend a peice of cutbait about 3-5ft of the bottom and let it float back into the whirl and work. This works any times of the year. Good luck I hope you get on them.

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We have been catching channels and a few blues on live shad while we are fishing for stripers here on West Point Lake.

They have been suspended at 20 to 24 feet in 35 to 40 feet of water. The shad schools are also suspended at 20 to 24 feet. :wink:

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try bait under a slip float - you can set the bait to suspend in the water at any depth you desire.

I haven't fish Lake Marion much, but I did catch several blues there one day about 10 feet down in 20 foot of water with a slip float.

10. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I've had a little success lately catching suspended blues on Monticello. When I am drifting I watch my fish finder. When I see suspended fish I will drop a couple of down rods, using line counters to place the baits just above the depth I marked the fish at. I usually use shad or herring for bait. If I mark fish at 50 feet, I drop the baits to about 48 to 45 feet. In my experience the fish will feed up, but not down. Now old Pop pop on the other hand will feed up, down or sideways!:smile2:

God Bless All,
    Steve