Suspended Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jun 23, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Does anybody worry about holding your bait off the bottom a few inches, to keep it more accessable for a bite ? If so what technique do you use ?Or does it really matter.
    Thanks
    Jailcop2

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The way I keep my bait off the bottom is using a slip bobber.I'll adjust the depth until its real close to the bottom,other times I'll fish 2-20' deep,depending on where and the water depth.
    Hope this helps! :cross:

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the response . Do you have any suggestions for this question when using a sinker on the bottom ? doDo you use aslip bobber at night?
    Thanks
    Brian

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I usually put a 1oz. sinker on my line then tie on a swivel and a leader about 12-18" (just depends how far off the bottom you want your bait) then the hook/bait.
    Thats it or I'll just use a 3-way swivel rig. Really depends where I'm fishing. Hope this helps!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I rarely fish without a slip bobber,I use the slip bobber at night,I usually start out at 2' and work my way to 8-10',mainly trying to find the depth that they are at.If I was fishing without it I'd go with a 3 way swivel,tie main line on top,12-14" line with hook/bait and a lighter line 14-18" on bottom with sinker,that way if it snags,the sinker line will break,letting you keep the rest of the tackle. Hope this helps!!!

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks guys this really helps.
    Brian

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You're very welcome,If I can help you out with anything else,holler or PM me.

8. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    U Can Use A Clip-on Cork With A Couple Of Stoppers To Keep It From Moving, But The Way It Works Is:
    Weight On Bottom
    Hook In Center
    Bobber Above Hook
    Ur Slack Needs To Be Between The Hook And Sinker. The Cork Will Keep The Bait Off The Bottom As Far As How Much String Is Between The Hook And Sinker. Hope This Helps
    Shaun

9. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I've also used the 3-way swivel rig. Sometimes it's more of a headache than it's worth simply because the line with the sinker and the line with the hook and bait get twisted every single time, it seems. But, none the less, it is an effective rig. I do most of my fishing on the bottom. That's natural for a catfish because they are bottom suckers most of the time. Notice how their mouths are shaped to glide along the bottom and suck up anything they want to taste. Just my thoughts......no one right way to rig it!

Casey

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks again for the insight guys . It all helps .
    Brian

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I use three different methods for suspending my bait off the bottom. But, which one I choose will depend upon weather and bottom conditions of the type of water being fished. And, from where I am fishing (boat or bank).

1. Slip float rig(used most of the time from the bank, when there is slight or no wind and the bottom is snag infested). Adjust height to suit your bottom conditions.

2. Carolina rig: with float attached a few inches before the hook (from boat and bank, in not very snag infested waters and winds can be whatever)

3. Paternoster rig: (sinker/weight at bottom/end of line, with hook tied to main line with either a dropper loop or Palomar knot (drop shot style) 12 to 24 inches above the sinker. With the sinker/weight tied to the end of the main line (with a lesser line weight, effecting a breakaway type/sinker sacrificer rig). Can be used effectively from boat or bank in all kinds of weather and water/bottom conditions.

Hope this helps. And, that my explanation is sufficient for the rigs in question and when I use them.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I do something very similar. I tie a heavy snap onto my line and attach everything to it. Sometimes I put a swivel around the main line running loose like a fishfinder rig and attach the sinker or hook to that and not the snap at the end of the line. My droppers have been getting shorter ~4" and my drop to the sinker about 18" for castability.

The snap on the main line lets you rerig fast. My hooks are pretied, etc. A lot of time you only lose the sinker and you can save the hook. I've caught a lot of fish this year where I had to bust the sinker free to get them in. Lose the sinker but get the fish!

I think it helps when in the really rough rocks to keep the bait up a bit. Otherwise it will just settle out of the current. A good place that is out of the current is a crack between two rocks.