Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its almost 4 am, just got home from a Suskie trip. I'll be posting a full report on my Suskie 21 thread after I get some sleep. But I'm so excited, I had to share this before I crash out.

Boated a monster 47 and some change flatty. Scale was bouncing between 49.5 and 50.2. Net I was weighing her in weighted 2 # 4 oz.

When I first landed I thought for sure she was over 50, possible state record range. 46.5" long 28.5 " girth!!!!

I'm gonna catch her again this fall and get my name in the book lolol!!!!

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL fish.

Report to follow tomorrow.I

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch, had the whole story typed out ,switched screens to text me daughter and poof , back to the drawing board lol. Never done that before , usually lets me go back and forth.

At any rate, I like being able to come back and read these to relive it! So its a long one, if thats not your thing, this one.prob isnt for you lol!

I'm no weather man, but I usually think - high wind=cold front. Well I guess you get them from warm fronts too lol!

I had basically written this weekend off. I have a non negotiable 10 mph wind rule. The forecast on Wed and Thurs was calling for 25 sustained on Friday down to 15 on Saturday and blowing clear into the evening....blowed out.

Figured I'd stay home and relax , by Friday night, the forecast had changed and was now saying the wind was going to die down around 8 or so which had me thinking lol.

Woke up Saturday to a stiff breeze, but forecast was now saying that the wind would be down to acceptable range by 5 or 6...i told my wife that I think god was telling me to get my honey do list done early, so I could catch the night bite.

Yard mowed...check, maters and peppers planted...check. Talk to my buddy Smitty and make plans to meet him down at the spot at 4 or 5 (P-City Smitty on youtube, check him out, he"s been putting toads on the deck lately , great footage)

I'm a 100%, hardcore live bait guy, never fish cut. I like fishing big live baits.....buuuuut these last couple weeks I have been watching some big fish come in on cut bait, not even big chunks!!! Little chunks that I would fish if I was trying to catch little channels!

So with that in mind, last weekend I fished 1/2 cut and 1/2 live. Cut definitely held its own, so this trip I decided to swing by a local spot that I can always find a couple fall fish and there are always PILES of big suckers. 15 min later , we were headed to bait spot #2 with a fall fish and 2 big suckers in the bait tank.

Bait spot #2 did not disappoint and in 30 min. I managed 25 really nice big rock bass. Next stop Lake (insert random lake name here).

My plan was to fish deeper water because I thought ..front= pressure=go deep, lousy bite. I said to my wife as we were leaving that I really didnt think we were going to catch much. Conditions were just weird, it was beautiful out though and you dont know , unless you go!

On the way to the lake (3 hours of driving if I go to my bait spot) I noticed that the wind was dying down and the sun was heating the day up rather nicely. Better than the weather man was calling for. When we got to the ramp, I looked at the water and saw that it was pretty murky, the sun was shining down into that murky water and I made a split second decision to go to one of my shallow water spots instead of sticking to the original plan.

I figured with the water temp only being 56 and the sun shining down into that muddy water, the fish were going to prob be up in shallow trying to soak up the heat and chase the bait that would be doing the same thing.

Spot # 1 - 6 foot of water, immediately caught a little 4 or 5 pound flathead on half a fall fish. Then a 8# channel on the other half , then missed what felt like a decent flathead on a big live rock bass. Got a couple other bites on cut sucker (2"×1" chunk ) stayed 45 min at first spot.

Spot #2 was a quick move about 120 feet away from spot #1, basically the same situation, big rocks, channel here is about 8-12' deep. Caught another channel cat, 9# on cut sucker. Put on the sucker head , which was big, little bit bigger than my fist. It wasn't in the water 5 minutes and got clobbered. Solid thump on the rod, I opened the bail, let the fish run a bit, reeled down and was hooked into a solid fish.

Wasnt a giant, but felt decent, fish ended up running the line into rocks , he could take line, I could fight him back to the swivel, then it would stop solid.

I messed with it for 10 min or so, then the rod right beside it with a big rock bass got smashed. I quickly broke the first line off bec ause I didnt want to the into another one and end up losing them both because of a tangle. Annnnd ended up missing the second fish because I messed around with the rocked up one too long lol.

Made another quick move to spot #3, again, only moved maybe a hundred feet, this spot is the main part of a channel, there are huge boulders in the water and its dicey to fish. Sometimes when you cast, you land in 3 feet of water, cast right beside it and land in 15.

This is where my wife lost a big fish last weekend. When we stopped, I said to my wife, we are gonna catch a big fish here , I can feel it.

Do any of you ever just "know"? Ive only said that 4 or 5 times in the last couple years , one time resulted in a 40#, next time resulted in a 38#, this time it was a 47. 2 other times were with my daughter, bass fishing and both times I landed slobs within minutes of saying it.

Sometimes I just get a feeling, like everything just feels too perfect to not catch a giant. We got the rods all out, 3 big rock bass and 3 rods with sucker chunks. Then we waited.....and waited. 45 min without so much as a nibble. I was just starting to kind of tidy the boat up for the ride back to the dock when I saw the tiniest little tap tap on one of the rods.

A second later the rod shook violently, not a takedown, just a violent jolt, then the line went slack. Before I even reeled down and picked the rod up I said "thats a big flathead, get ready to start reeling the other lines in".

Things got real hectic , real quick from there. I reeled down slowly because I had a feeling it was a big fish and I wanted to make sure the circle found its spot. As the rod loaded up, I pulled it out of the holder and there is something really special that a really big flathead does when you first reel down on it, like they kind of just shake their whole body back and forth a time or 2. I felt that big body swing and said to my wife...." Honey this is a GIANT FISH"

I hadnt casted the bait out very far off the side of the boat and the fish came most of the way to the boat fairly easy, I hadn't really put any pressure to it, I was just gently pumping and slowly winding, it didn't realize what was going on yet.

As soon as it got about 10 feet off the side of the boat, it went absolutely BALLISTIC and took off on a ripping run, I usually keep a fairly tight drag because I like really putting the heat to them to get the most out of the fight. That was not an option with that fish, I quickly loosened the drag because he ran so hard that the rod straightened right out and was bent clear down in the handle.

The raw power that came from that fish was absolutely explosive!! After that first run, my heart sank, I could feel the line was rubbing on something. I thought it was over, I was literally praying out loud , please dont let this fish break me off.

I could feel the line squeaking and it was real jumpy so I figured it was probably wrapped around my back anchor rope. Thought that it was going to break at any second.

At this point I had been fighting the fish for 10 minutes, the only thing I could think to do was to open the spool and try to figure out which way the line was tangled. I use a big cinder block for a back anchor, so I had the rod in one hand, slowly pulled the 30# cinder block up until the tangle came above water, then cut the anchor rope right above where it was wrapped.

Got the line unwrapped (it was a full revolution around the rope, I dont have a CLUE how it didnt break) then , since my wife is a tiny little thing, she couldnt pull the anchor up. At this point, I had the rod in my right hand in freespool, used my left hand to pull the anchor up and into the boat.

Ok...moment of truth, now we are 18 minutes into the fight (wife had the video recorder going the whole time in her pocket lolol!! We were an honest 18 min. Into the fight!) Time to close the bail and see if the fish is still on....i slowly start reeling and buwowowo rod comes tight, THE FISH HAD BEEN JUST LAYING RIGHT BEHIND THE BOAT THE WHOLE TIME. It must have felt the tension slack off and just thought....great, time for a nap.

I could not believe it was still hooked and that it just laid behind the boat the entire time we were messing around!!!!! As soon as I came tight to it, she went ballistic again and took a smoking long run diagonally off the back corner of the boat. Another 5 min. Of bulldogging around and she finally surfaced.

It was ALL I COULD DO to get half the fish into my net and by the time I did I was literally flat on my rear sitting on the bottom of my boat shaking. Took me a min to compose myself to be able to stand up and pull her into the boat.

Pics do not do that fish justice. She was 46.5 inches long, girth was 28.5 inches. Another youtuber buddy of mine happened to be fishing about a hundred yards away from us and heard my big mouth...he yelled over (just as I had gotten the fish untangled from the anchor) Ramrod ...is that you!??! So he came over and filmed the fish after I had her in the boat. (My YouTube name is ramrod)

The net she was weighed in weighed 2.04 and the best reading I could get on the fish was 49.54 but it bounced around some between 49 and 50. We tried to get a steady weight twice but my hands were shaking so bad , that was the best I could do lol!

That video should be edited up here in the next couple days. I'll post a link once its up.

His channel is Flatty Daddies, I'm sure some of you are familiar with his channel , but if you aren't , check him out also. Great channel, post a LOT of great catfish videos.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but that giant fish are a cut piece of sucker about 2"x1". So Smitty , THANK YOU, I would have never been fishing cut sucker if it wasn't for you.

The fish was released healthy and ANGRY back into the mighty Susquehanna.

I dont have ANY doubt that there is a 60# fish swimming in PA waters. I dont know where the record will top out but I dont feel like we are there yet. I feel really blessed to be fishing during a time period where such an awesome fish is having a population/growth explosion.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading. Tight lines!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. I feel truly blessed to be able to do battle with such an awesome fish. I've been lucky enough to fish in quite a few different places, for quite a few different species and I loved every minute of every battle I had with every one of them.

That being said, those flatheads are a really special fish, the places I fish for them are mind blowing beautiful and I get to share the hunt for them with an awesome group of people.

That is the second fish over 45 # that I have personally watched come out of this particular spot and a third over 40 came from real close to there all within the last 6 months or so.

We are really lucky to have such a healthy population of such an awesome fish. I hope they continue to grow and thrive like they are right now. I'm hunting a 50# and I really feel quite confident that its just a matter of time before I catch one.

With them being invasive and still expanding/settling into the susquehanna system, nobody knows exactly how big they will get. I personally feel we will see a 60#+ before they max out. There are too many 40s for the max to be 56. (Which is where the record stands right now).

These next couple years are going to be cool to watch....ill be front row.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,011 Posts
Congrats on your new PB,

Nice read too!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Video that a buddy of mine got. He was a hundred yards over from me while I was battling the beast, heard me and my wife trying to get her untangled from my anchor rope. Glad it was him that happened to be beside us, he got some great footage of a really great night.

Well worth checking his channel out. He puts big fish in the boat on a regular basis and is a great guy to boot!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you cmag. Definitely not an evening I will soon forget. That fish was an absolute BRUTE. Ive only ever felt power like that a couple of times.

Ive been thinking that she could quite possibly be the same fish that I saw get caught in the early fall last year.

I watched someone catch a 45# last fall right in the exact same spot. Neat to think that it could be the same fish. There a lot of big fish where I fish, but she was definitely an exceptional girl!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Awesome flathead man! Congrats on catching such a hog! I'm really pumped to get back out for another night, hopefully maybe Tuesday night. I went a couple weeks ago but only caught some nice channels 6 to 8 pounds. I love pulling up to a nice sandbar next to deep water and setting up camp for the night. Nothing like the solitude and the tail splash of a big flathead to break the silence. ;-) Tight lines and good luck on breaking that 50# mark!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts