Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
We fished last night from around 6pm to 5 am. The bite was slow and we were pretty lazily fishing after midnight (not recasting, not putting on fresh bait, etc) however we did land 5 fish.. 3 small channel cats (3-4 lbs), a 9lb flathead and Joey landed a 31 lbs flattish, making him the newest member of the 30 lbs club!

It was a nice night to be out, though i dozed off for about half the trip lol. The 31 lber was a 6 minute fight, very exciting

Head Fish Human leg Ray-finned fish Thigh

Water Boat Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Shorts

Vertebrate Workwear Glove Fisherman Fish

Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing Angling Recreation

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quick Sunday morning trip below Conowingo Dam. Fished from 5 to 8:30 AM. Only had a few hours so I took the old little kayak out. It's a bit of a cramped fishing platform but it is light little and easy to load unload and launch. Got three nice size blues, a bunch of littles and a few channel cats. One of the blues was just over 20lbs, the one in the pic was 16-18 if I remember correctly. One of the channels was missing a tail. It was definitely a healed wound not a birth defect. I'm thinking he had a run-in with a snapping turtle. Wish I had taken a picture of that one but didn't think about it until I had released him. The water was grossly warm, it felt like bath water. The sunrise was one of the best I've seen in a while.
Vertebrate Water Mammal Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fin

Cloud Sky Water Water resources Atmosphere

Water Water resources Atmosphere Sky Nature

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Awesome Andrew! You guys at Long level? I was out last night. Just went back through the text to wifey to get a timeline lol. Only fished from 545 -915 and managed 3 flatheads, all on live bluegills.

I couldn't keep cutbait on the hook , channel cats were tearing it up, so I switched to all live gills pretty quick.

There was a little hour and half period there were I don't think I ever had all 3 rods in the water because the bites were coming so fast. Missed several fish due to hooks fouling back into the baits, but ended up with 3 fish in the boat. One of the ones I missed was another heavyweight, reeled down and the fish did that big slow body swing that the giants do when they feel a pull, but she just opened her mouth and poof , gone.

Biggest landed was 41# 15oz. FREIGHT TRAIN of a flathead, I thought for sure it was going to be a 50#, I was fishing in some current and that fish gave me a battle! Other 2 were 12# and a little 6#.

I've been fishing some new to me hooks (10/0 grim reapers) and while I love them for big baits, I realized last night that they are not right for bluegills. They have a wide, squared off bottom , which is great for big live baits or big cut baits, but with bluegills, that wide bottom allows the hook to trun back into the bait way too frequently.

Definitely not bad mouthing the hooks, they are great, but not right (the 10/0 at least) for bluegills. Hard lesson to learn when you haven't caught fish in several trips and you get into a hot bite lol.

For my records, water was not quite chocolate milk, but pretty dark, gauge was at a hair over 5' in harrisburg. Moon was 3/4 or so, but never really showed due to heavy clouds. Wind started out coming from the south at about 5-6mph , changed to coming from the east at 2-3 mph at around sunset. Started spitting rain just as I was heading to the ramp.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fish Fisherman Human leg Ray-finned fish Art

Andrew, I've been meaning to ask you, did you catch that fish in the pic at lake aldred? I can't find a pic of the one I'm thinking about, but the mark on that fishes head looks exactly like a fish either i or my daughter caught last fall. Obviously, a million flatheads have marks on their heads, but I distinctly remember catching one with a mark that looked exactly like that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
View attachment 331354

Andrew, I've been meaning to ask you, did you catch that fish in the pic at lake aldred? I can't find a pic of the one I'm thinking about, but the mark on that fishes head looks exactly like a fish either i or my daughter caught last fall. Obviously, a million flatheads have marks on their heads, but I distinctly remember catching one with a mark that looked exactly like that.
Yup, and yes the previous fishing trip was lake aldred. That would be neat if we got the same fish.. I always catch and release, so maybe we'll see him again some night lol. Did you get your 41 lber at long level? Hell of a fish!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's crazy, as soon as I saw that pic, I immediately thought I recognized that mark on its head, I'll have to dig through pics and see if I can find one

Yeah, that 41 did come from long level. I'm going to try and skip work tomorrow and get back down there again. I've only fished long level a handful of times and usually done pretty good. (Barring several times this summer, but I'm not counting those trips lol!).

I've hooked 2 different fish at long level that I am 100% certain were considerably bigger than any others that I've landed. Both times, I just got wrecked by how powerful the fish were, I'm no stranger to big flatheads, but both of these fish were in an entirely different league than what I've ever caught, both definitely well up into the 50 range. Both during tournaments too...heartbreak city lol.

Between the cooler weather and the water being colored up, the bite should be pretty good now. We are quickly coming up on slobtober, love this time of year!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quick report from long level last night, fished from about 930 until 4 am or so, only caught 1 fish abiut 10# or so, I should have waited and went tonight, a front blew through last night and I think that shut them down.

Still a beautiful night on the river ,I about froze my cajones off!!! I usually have half a dozen sweaters, extra clothes etc. But I cleaned truck out a couple weeks ago and I was regretting it BAD last night!

For records sake, moon was around half.full, clear skies, moon rose around 10 or so. Wind was real light coming from the north, High barometric I think it was around 30.15 and rising. Temp was 50 when I got in the truck.

I knew going into it that I was making a mistake by going last night, definitely think the bite will be a bit better tonight and building the next couple days.

Had a couple other bites, think only 1 of them was a flathead though. All on live gills, channel cats were harassing my baits pretty bad. This time of year seems to always be feast or famine for me. I have a spot that can be absolutely insane once the water cools down a bit more, but again, it's either all out insanity, or it's NOTHING.

Hope to get on some big ones these next couple weeks,I've been saving some vacation days all year , I want to.see the water get to about 55 or so, then a little warm spell of a couple days with stable weather. Making of a flathead fanatics dream.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just checking in from the Juniata River. Tore up the flatties this spring up until the spawn. Since then they have disappeared. It sounds like more of the same regardless of the river.

Let's all hope for an active fall.
Kaptain, I live near altoona, the juniata is a heck of a lot shorter of a drive than the suskie for me. I really gotta spend some time checking it out more.

How far down the river are you catching good flatheads? Near the suskie, or up a ways? Good numbers/sizes?

I just got back from another skunk trip to aldred. I'm not sure I believe in flatheads anymore. Think I should stick them in the same file as the Easter bunny lol.

Spent 5 hours bouncing around to half a dozen spots , had a couple weird bites that were def flatheads and 2 good solid takedowns, had the one fish on for 30 seconds or so, felt like a decent fish, but hook pulled out. Can't believe I got skunked again.

I've had more skunk trips this year than I have in the last 3 years combined, it's crazy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's awesome, I talked to a guy 2 years ago at the narrows and he said he got a 30 clear up there.

I have a hard time going anywhere but the lower suskie , I've been chasing a 50# for a couple years now. Came darn close several times but I just haven't been able to seal the deal.

Sure would be nice to cut the drive down to 2 hours though!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts