Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those are some tremendous fish. It's amazing how many big fish are coming out of that river considering they've only been in there around 20 years or so. I normally fish that river in Maryland but reports like yours keep making me want to venture up into PA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are big flatheads in the lower Susquehanna, but I haven't caught any yet. The blues vastly outnumber the flatheads. Last year my son hooked a big flathead on a live bluegill that gave a real lethargic fight up to his kayak then finally realized it was hooked, shook its head, and broke a 40lbs leader. It was a few minutes for the adrenaline to wear off and my teenage son to speak in full sentences again. I didn't see the fish, but I saw the giant splash. He said it had a head that would've gotten stuck in a 5-gallon bucket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you fish just kayaks? I'm kinda new to that game, I'm a bit intimidated to get out on aldred in my yak. If ya ever wanna come up that way, I'd love to have someone to partner up with for a trip out on the yaks.
I do kayaks only now. I had a 21' center console I bought in 2005 but eventually sold it because it wasn't getting used enough. Been fishing out of a kayak since the mid 90's when I was the only knucklehead out there in a kayak. Got 3 of them now for different situations/locations. The 10.5' little one in the profile pic which is easy to carry, launch anywhere and ping off rocks without a care. A 12' Old Town Autopilot with the Minn Kota built in which is big and stable with electronics and plenty of accessories but the propeller means it stays away from weeds and shallow rocks. And then a 14' sea kayak that doesn't see much fishing but it's a fun fast boat in wide open water.
I've stood at the mouth of the Conestoga River right below Safe Harbor Dam and thought it looked pretty fishy but never fished up that way. The boat launch at York Furnace is probably only 30 miles from my house so it wouldn't be a big deal to come up to Aldred some time and buddy boat in kayaks. If you're new to it then it makes sense to not head out alone. Also if you come down to Maryland sometime let me know. I'll meet up with you and show you some spots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts