The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be fishing the suskie quite a bit the next 2 months or so for flatties so I wanted to have a place to post some reports, hopefully some others will join in.

I posted a 40# last weekend in the " members reports" section, but wanted to add some life to the PA section.

Went out last night with my daughter, had a TOUGH time catching bait, got lucky and found a pile of gills hiding under one little tree.

Storm was on the horizon so we only got to catfish for about an hour (8:30-9:30) we were cruising across the river towards the dock just in time to miss mother nature throwing down buckets of water. If we would have stayed 5 more minutes it would have been ugly. I gotta be a little more careful about that. Learned a lesson there.

Anyways, daughter caught a nice channel ( 6# and some change. ) and a beautiful flathead that was 11#-7 oz . The flathead was a really pretty fish.

Bite was a little slow, seemed like the weather had them messed up a bit. We had one other good run, but the fish came unbuttoned. Prob try a different spot next weekend. I like this spot because we can catch bait right there, bit more work having to catch bait somewhere then tow it all to the fishing spot lolol! Ive got another spot I want to try though so I'll probably fill the live Well and make the run.

Attachments

Administrator
You just can't beat that happy smile. Always a pleasure to see.

tight lines.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah she is a fish catching machine and you are right, that smile is priceless. We fished a bass tourney a couple weeks ago and she put 4 of our 5 fish limit in the well. I thought her cheeks were gonna break she was smiling so hard. Doesnt get any better than that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Spent a couple hours out 2 saturdays ago, missed a couple good hits. Ive been messing around with circle hooks and I am so far not impressed. I used to use them a lot fishing for snook with really big live baits and had a nearly 100% hookup rate ...but flatheads are a different beast.

Anyways, was back at it again Saturday , had a TOUGH time catching bait again, only had 7 good gills. Ended up with 1 decent 15# flatty and a couple good channels.

My daughter got her tail whipped by 2 different fish. First one was on a big rod, she did good with it until it went berserk beside the boat, snatched her down and swam into the anchor line...pop. That was a pretty decent fish.

Second schooling of the night came when a big flathead grabbed a big chunk of fallfish on one of the rods that was intended for channels. As soon as she set the hook the fish took off and screamed half the line off the reel. Big long powerful tail swings, no doubt a big flathead. She didn't stand a chance, literally never even slowed the fish down, he was still screaming the reel when the line must have brushed against something ...pop.

Here are a couple pics from the ones that didn't manage to whoop us.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to bounce this thread a bit. Its 4 am , ive been driving since 12:30 and I was up at 330 am yesterday morning to go try to sling an arrow at a buck. The arrow slingin adventure was a fail, but the fiahing adventure tonight was pretty darn fun.

Daughter bumped her pb from 15# up to 22# and it was a HEALTHY, feisty 22. Thought I was gonna have to grab the rod a couple times LOLOLOL!!! but she held her own and whooped it.

She also landed a feisty 10# that gave a good tussle for her as well. All in all an awesome night to be out on the river.

Water temp was 57 so I wasnt expecting much. We had sec eral other baits get ravaged, just didnt get hooks in the fish. I was pretty surprised how active they still are right now.

Fishing in about 30' of water, rocky chunky bottom.

Administrator
Your daughter did very well and a new PB is always good. Thanks for the picture.

Reactions: ramon06

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ramon, the switch to heavier leader and snelling the hooks made such a big difference that I can't even believe it. I have also gotten to where I dont take the rod out of the holder, I wait until the fish loads the rod solidly , reel down, then take the rod from the holder after the fish is hooked.

Sometimes it takes them flatheads several minutes of playing with it before they load the rod, that 10# that she caught played with the bait for a solid 5 or 6 minutes, then he finally took it and loaded the rod down. In the past, I would have picked the rod up, felt the bumps and starting reeling down...and would have missed him. Now, with waiting until they load the rod down, our hookup rate is unbelievably good, way better than I would have ever believed. Those circles work wonders, but they darn sure take some getting used to and there are definitely some tricks to dial it in, once you do, there is nothing out there that works that good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, its crazy ,but when I was a youngster, my love of flatheads started in the Allegheny river. At that time, the biggest hooks we could find locally were 1/0 or 2/0 regular old J style eagle claws. (Mind you, this was 35 years ago ,before the internet lol!) But even with using those small hooks with big rock bass for baits, I never remember missing fish. I was talking to my father a while back and he seems to remember it the same way. Not sure how it was but it seems to me that we used to have real good hookup rates.

I wouldn't even think about trying that now, but I think of that often and chuckle. Visions of us casting huge rock bass with 1/0 hooks out on little trout rods because thats all we had. Somehow , it worked though. Took us a while to figure it out but there was a couple summers there were we would usually catch at least a couple a night from 10- 25# using those little rods and what I realize now were tiny hooks lol!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts