SUSHI

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kyredneck, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    FYI; would love to read your comments.

There ain't much I won't eat, and sushi ain't one of them, I love the stuff. I tried my hand at making nigiri and maki sushi yesterday and the experiment turned out very well. Tina even likes the stuff but she's not the potential addict that I am. I just had leftovers for my supper tonight.

There's an Asian market in Lexington that has everything and a couple of good seafood markets that gets 3-4 deliveries of fresh saltwater fish a week. I used tuna, sockeye salmon, and halibut for my first go at sushi. I couldn't find any roe, will have to order next time. Tuna and salmon were best; 'melt in your mouth' delicious. I can eat sushi and never feel like I've over ate; it is very light, healthy, eating.

Making the rice for sushi was no big deal, but I went the simple route, watched a youtube video, and used a pre-mixed sushi rice vinegar instead of mixing my own.

The nigiri is my favorite and is also the simplest; a hand formed bite sized oval shaped ball of sushi rice with a dab of wasabi (Japanese horseradish) and a thin slice of raw fish. Dip in sushi soy sauce and enjoy. There's something about that combo of flavors...... In between pieces of sushi 'cleanse the palate' with a bite of pickled ginger and move on to the next bite.

Maki is veggies with fish and/or roe or squid etc. rolled up in a sheet of seaweed (nori) with the rice on the outside. Tina bought a bamboo mat for this and did an excellent job her first try.

And, yes, I even bought some chop sticks. I've got a long way to go but I'm gonna learn to use them. Our Romanian son-in-law has taught us to appreciate the nuances of foreign cuisine, and I intend to entertain our kids with some Japanese table fare in the future.

I've got to learn some other dishes. Any suggestions?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Heck yeah,Larry. I like it too,Just don't have the fresh fish available here,so I gotta have mine at the chinese place:sad2:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We would have to drive all the way to Tulsa to get sushi. We are up there a lot but always have to tight of time table to go. Never had it ,but would like to try it.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Larry, just can't quite get myself to do that. Nothing against it, nothing against you. Just could not get my teeth around it without barfing.

Don't like bloody red meat of any kind. Grew up in the 50's and 60's on a farm in Iowa where things got cooked and I mean cooked, esp pork.

Don't get me wrong, I love fish and esp seafood. Boiled lobster is my love. Born in Maine and Maine lobster is the tits. But man, raw fish just makes me cringe.

Go for Dude.

Later, John.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    John, a couple years ago I thought exactly like you when it came to the idea of putting raw fish in my mouth; even though I could founder myself on raw oysters. But with sushi or sashimi grade fish, there is 'zilch fishyness'; no fishy smell or taste whatsoever. Or course the fish has to be fresh, and you don't just use any old kind of fish; only certain varieties of saltwater fish can be eaten raw, no freshwater fish (parasites). Anyway, sushi, ain't for just anyone; but anybody that will eat raw oysters should also like sushi & sashimi, IMO.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Theres a sushi bar here that is all you can eat for $20. I guess I should try the place. It's been awhile since I ate sushi.

7. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    love the stuff theres a chinese buffet down the road here and i load up on it every time im there lol. i dont make my own cause the extent of my cooking is top roman LOL.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sushi is great i can eat it everday ... But it has to made right not all Shushi chef's are the same.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    California rolls are my favorite! I have also recently tried the "Caterpillar Roll". Its got avacado drizzled over it making it green and caterpillar like in appearance. Dont let the that deter you though! It also has teriyaki sauce and it is GOOD!! I also like the tuna with spicy fish eggs. Im not sure what they are called but those are really good too!

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like it all, will sometimes go to the buffet and just eat different sushi. They are building a new japanese restaurant and sushi bar closer in town. Looking forward to it. I should try and make it myself sometime but have not yet. I think getting the rice right is the hardest part.

11. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I agree with Terry Bradshaw: "Where I come from, they call that bait!!!!":wink::smile2:

12. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I like some of it, in the philippines they have kinilaw which is made of raw fish and it is great..i eat it everytime i am there and the same goes for the balut egg it looks yucky but it taste great

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ray, I looked that kinilaw up and it looks good! Raw tuna salad was what someone called it.

Dameon, we used avocado for one of the veggies in the maki sushi we made and loved it. Next time we're gonna try some California rolls too.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

We joke sometimes and say let's go eat some bait....:big_smile:

15. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I hear some say "yuck i wouldnt eat that" but they would eat a nasty ol pre-packaged frozen fishstick.....now to that i say yuck

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Lol or worst yet :smile2:They eat at red lobster and call it Great:eek:oooh:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    After watching a show on Animal Planet called Monsters Inside Me, I will now think twice about eating anything raw! It showed dudes getting worms and parasites because of sushi!

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tan, in the U.S. there are laws that require some fish, like salmon, to be flash frozen before being sold for that very reason, parasites.

Oh well, there's a risk in everything you do; even fishing.

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Ray, is this the same dish you're talking about?

http://www.bigoven.com/103996-Kinilaw-(Raw-Tuna-Salad)-recipe.html

picture here: http://pinoycook.net/kinilaw-kilawin-na-tuna/

It looks delicious.

or maybe this: http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/28996/kinilaw-na-tanigue-filipino-version-of-ceviche/recipe/

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm talking about the fisherman who go out and catch the fish, take it home, and make sushi. There is no flash freezing!

By the way bro, salmon is not a good choice for sushi. You want white meat fish.