Survivor Man or Man vs Wild?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I watch both but Les Stroud simply gets on my nerves. On the other hand, I could see Bear Grylls hanging out in the crew's RV knocking back pina coladas when the cameras are off. Which do you prefer?

Jon

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Watch them both, I do like Bear's show better.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man Vs Wild is my show of choice. Tape it every week.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I heard Man vs Wild is fake:confused2:. He does not really "ruff it" for a week, he has his film crew help him. That is what I heard though so....who knows

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Regardless of all thing's there both good show's sure beat's watching abc nbc fox cbs :eek:oooh:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like survivor man the best, he's on his own with no film crew. Ive heard things about man vs. wild, like the guy staying in a hotel and having his film crew building things and him putting on the finishing touches. I still like the show though, you got to give it to him for eating a zebra carcass. I just think survivor man is more honest in his show but I do like both shows.

7. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I watch both, but I like Man vs Wild better. Both give you good tips in case I ever find myself in one of those situations.:crazy: I can't believe that ANYONE would purposely put themselves in those situations. No wonder they "fake it". (if they do)
    I would too.:smile2: May be crazy, but not stupid.:eek:oooh:

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    And if you want to watch real TV How about spending some quality time watching American idol LMAO:eek:oooh::embarassed::angry:

9. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man vs Wild hands down. I'd have to guess there's alot that's "faked" in both shows, that being said, you don't see Les jumping off or climbing any cliffs, or anything that involves too much actual danger.

I actually find Survivor Man laughable at times. I can't believe he lets some of the stuff he actually trys into the footage. lol, like starting a fire by firing a dismantled rifle round into his tender-pile (actually about 6 rounds, because the shot kept blowing the tender-pile apart......go figure!). Or his attempt at a deadfall trap where he mashed his hand about 20 times in a row.

Watched an old show tonight where he was in a mock aircraft accident. He was going to simulate being injured by placing his left arm in a sling (which he used 2 hands to make), but decided against it because it ws too hard. Same show he (suppossedly) snared a rabbit with a piece of electrical wiring. Snares need to be soft & close easily, and his loop was WAY off-base. lol, I told dad if that snare caught something, I knew the show was fake, sure enough he did. Magically, it wasn't frozen stiff as a board.

Still, I enjoy both shows, if nothing else than for the scenery.

Smitty

10. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    According to one of my girlfriends magazines, there is proof that "man vs. wild" is kinda a "fake". Like camara footage of the crew in a hotel room while he is supposed to be "roughing it". Even with that being said, the point of these shows isn't to show how "hardcore" these guys are. It's to give us survival tips if we were ever to be stuck in these situations.

11. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio

I agree with maddcatter, i learn something new almost everytime i watch either of the shows. I like them both.

12. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Enjoy them both but I like survivor man more.

13. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Both are good, but like man vs wild better.

14. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I love how on Man vs. Wild he parachutes into a "remote, random" location, yet a camera crew films a long shot of him falling from the plane and they are on the ground waiting on him to land.

Here is an article about how they fake some of the stuff on Man vs. Wild.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6911748.stm

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I like survivor man Les cause at least a lot of what he does is practical and makes sense and he does not have a camera crew with him. Ive seen bear do somethings that you should never do in a survival situation like swim through a mountain lake that is is below 50 degrees rather than just go around. Or decend down a rather steep mountain side with no ropes or safety gear in a "survival situation" Rather than take the lower inclined decent wich he said would take a day longer which I would take a day longer and not get a broken leg and a certain death sentence same as the lake ordeal. And the list goes on and on of the things he does that you should never do in a survival situation. When the commercial says that he is going to show you how to survive these sitautions LOL I just hope that knowone if stuck in any similar situation takes his advice:eek:oooh:

16. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    If I was stuck in a survival situation I would rather be with the survivor man. He would take a more realistic approach to insure walking out alive. Bear would take off looking for something to climb or to find some rotten dead animal to eat. Les...hands down.

Man vs Wild is all about the shock value of the programming for ratings.

17. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I agree with your last statement. I don't know about the show being "fake" or not cause I don't read that much into it, but if it is so what. It's made to teach us survival tips not to be a reality show. If the camera crew wants to go back to a hotel for the night so what. Bear Grylls is the ex SAS soldier. He's used to that kind of environment, the camera crew probably isn't. That's why they leave him a camera at night so he can record on his own when he wakes up. I love the show. I want to get his book "Born Survivor" but I can't find it in the states. I do watch Survivorman, but I've only seen a few of his old episodes. Maybe the new ones will be better. I think Les Stroud has a harder time making his show because he does his own filming and has to carry around all the camera equipment. I saw one show where he setup the camera walked like a mile down the river to cross it, walked back up a mile just to catch himself on video then he had to go back and retrieve his camera. I don't know or care if the shows are fake or not, but I like to watch them.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i like man v's wild. hes on the move. u usually get board watching survivorman. although they both eat a lot of stuff i wouldnt. ide eat plants and tree bark before any maggots or grubs reguardless of the protein.

hell raw minnows would be better than grubs.

19. Cletus_Beaudean

Cletus_Beaudean New Member

State:
    Corsicana, Texas
    Both make decent entertainment, but I would have to say Survivor Man is a little more realistic than Gryls.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I just started to watch survivorman and I like it. Good info and tricks of the wilderness to be learned by both.