Survival gun?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Okay if the crap hits the fan, what gun would you like to have? Im talking about a gun for on the move not a home arsenal for defending the castle against hordes of zombies. Me personally Im thinking a 22 or 223, ammo is light and would like to keep from conflicts as much as possible. Any thoughts?

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    i like your choices maybe a 12gauge pump

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm thinking along the lines of my now legal SKS with two 30 round mags ,and a few thousand rounds of ammo for it:wink:

4. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I like what 223reload's thinking. My SKS would be high on my list. But I'd have a hard time figuring out if I wanted something that would defend me from close in threats, or if I wanted to reach out and touch somebody. If I could still have my handguns, I think I'd probably go with a rifle capable of long distance shooting. Maybe my 300 Win. Mag.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Would you be able to carry a 3000 rounds of ammo? Im my scenario driving around in a car might not be a good idea, road blocks and the like. Im thinking of being light on my feet and having the carrying capacity for things like food and water. Even if driving were safe how long would we have access to gas and the like? Also Im thinking along the lines of having to survive on what you can hunt or fish up and having to avoid armies of thugs or what have you. Of course if you live on a big farm and can provide while staying home may change what would be needed.

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    If I am going for a true survival gun, one not only to protect myself but one to also provide food, I would have to go with an over and under probably a 223 and 20 gauge. I think this combination has a lot of possibilities.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Mobile

mini 14 .223 ruger
    12 ga pump tw
    300 weatherby mag
    glock 40 S&W

Fixed

444 marlin
    8mm mauser
    30/30 win
    270 7400 rem
    270 m77 ruger
    12 ga single shot nef
    22 bolt action csf

cva wolf 50 cal 209x150 grn
    cva mnt stlk 50 cal 100 grn

Plus twenty years of US Army Infantry.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    mobil i am going with a mini 14 and a couple of side arms. one for sure i would carry is my mk iii target .22. the other side arm would probably end up being one of my long slide glocks.

9. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would get me the new barrett 6.8 REC 7, hits way harder than the old .223, that is if ammo wasnt in limited supply right now. But another choice would be my Ruger Mini-30. And for handguns, i'd take along my Ruger 357Mag or my Colt Commander .45

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm thinkin 223 and a 12 gauge 3'mag.

11. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I own a pre-ban CAR AR-15 because it's small and reasonably accurate. But an SKS at .308 is a by far a better cartridge. A machined receiver would be nice. Very cheap ammo available.

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Lots of good ones already listed. I guess my old Ruger Mini 223, Ruger 10 22 or good bolt action 22, 22 or 45 sidearm and if I had room a Remington 870 12guage. If more room a Ruger or Remington 30-06 or 308.

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    In my thoughts a pure "survival" gun would be something for minimal protection but mainly to provide food. Wouldn't want a cannon that would draw a lot of attention. Probably a .22 magnum / 20 gauge magnum over under. An assortment of ammo, solid and hollow points for the rifle. #6 shot , #3 buckshot and slugs for the shotgun would handle bout anything you would run across.

14. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    TC Encore, .22 for the small work, .308 for the big work, scattergun for the close work

Fit all in 1 soft case. I would say a brick of 22 shells weighs about the same as 2 full 30 round 223 mags for the mini/ar/sks.

I guess you could cut out the 308 and carry buck and slug shells. You could also cut the base of a 12ga shell just above the brass till it almost falls off. That will make you a slug but the accuracy aint too good. I can keep them on man size target at 25 yards. Try that at your own risk. I tried some 50 yards and accuracy is gone but that #9 shot packs a punch hehehe

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Ruger 10/22 with a few of my 30 round banana clips taped together. Side arm would be Model 29 Smith .44 mag 6 1/2 inch barrel. Ruger mini 14 with 30 round clips would also be an outstanding choice.

16. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    1st off I would have 6 bags of fertalizer and some kerosene.about 150 yards from my house.some wire to the house with a plunger.:big_smile:Then at about 100 yards barbed wire rolls around the house.Then my 308,if they want to get me that bad I guess I would be down to small arms.

I havent given it much thought tho.I have enough food to last 2 mths. canned deer is good and you dont have to worry about keeping it cold.
    smokey out

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

im a profesional zombie hunter lol, not really but if it came down to it i would probally go rob the gunstore in the next town over, they have a combo .223/12guage, holds i think 7 or 8 rounds of 12 guage and around the same for the .223. the tope barrel is the .223 and the bottom is the 12 guage. i wouldent mind having an old winchester .30-30 either. they are really good guns in my opinion, as a sidearm i would want a .357 mag so i could still shoot .38's out of it and still have the .357 as a more powerful option. i would also be packin my german 9mm and my uncles desert eagle .44 just to be on the safe side lol

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    With the 2nd Amendment Ruling ....in the future it COULD be something in .308, full auto, armor piecing rounds and 30 rd clips!!! Yes we have ZOMBIES.

:eek:oooh:

19. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    A semi auto combo gun? Never heard of it, but if it exists, I may be buying a new gun here soon.

20. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I like a challenge, so I'm gonna go with my Thompson 50cal. muzzeloader.
    :big_smile: