Survival gun.

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by bootshowl, Jul 17, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Probably most of us own several guns, long and hand. On the topic of staying in good health with the option of having only one to carry; ammo, cleaning supplies etc. What is your choice of caliber. Yeah I'm talking "batman in the boondocks". I think for my region of the country I'd feel comfortable with the 22 Magnum. Jacketed bullet, inexpensive, light of weight. Not too loud. I can carry a lot more ammo compared to centerfire. I'd be mostly concerned of ferral dogs. Maybe something for the cook pot. Probably a bolt action. Simple. It's long been the poachers gun. Wondered what some others thought?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good choise Boots, I miss the old marlin I had ,but I have a Ruger single six in 22lr/ 22mag with a 9" bbl and its served me well for 20 odd yrs.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    around here thats all you need really, wild dogs are everywhere in indiana, around my area and southern indiana they are bad. towards the end of deer season they all get the slugs there way if we see em. but if i ever go into the woods i carry my 22 bolt action with hollow point shells.

Attached Files:

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I just bet that a feller wouldn't go wrong with his old faithful squirrel gun... there's just not a better gun than one you can carry lots of bullets for...

I'd opt for my old Remington .22 autoloader... it'll carry 17 LR or a bunch of shorts. With a .22 LR packing a 55g HP, you can kill anything in the CONUS from a ground squirrel or snake to a whitetail sized animal.

It's quiet and several hundred rounds of ammo can be carried in the glovebox!

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a ruger single 6 22 l/r or 22 mag.ive had sense 19 67.its only got 6 1/2 inch barrel but it hits pretty good.if im going into the mountains i carry my wanna be glock.its a nine mill and holds 11 rounds.i want bigger and louder when im around where the bears are.

6. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I own a bolt action, Marlin 22 mag. model 882 ss micro-goove barrell and am not impressed with its accuracy. It seemes as if they didn't clean the burrs off the end of the rifle where the bullet last touches the barrell, and the end is countersunk milled. I have seen this same problem with at least two other rifles. After touching up the chamfer on the end of the barrell it started to show signs of improving. But as far as bear country goes, having never been around such, I would go with the 357 taurus model 66ss6, has 6"barrell, 7rd capacity weighs 40 oz. and is a tack driving stainless revolver. Although one could get along just as good probably with "bear deffense" a pepper spray deterent designed for bears.

7. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    any more i dont go into the woods unarmed, i have seen too many animals that could ruin a great day. I would have to say that either a 22lr or a 22mag would be with me, or my small remington 870 express youth model shotgun. I usually take along my 22lr just because it is light, accurate, and quiet.

8. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm looking to get a .357 mag DA revolver (6" barrel) for Christmas to be my trusty companion in both the woods and at home for protection. I figure that should cover just about anything that might try to get to me, lol.

9. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    My go anywhere gun would be my S&W 65 4" bbl in .357mag. I carry 125 grain JSP in the woods when I'm hunting or fishing, good enough for two and four legged vermin. If I need something for the pot I can put in some .38specials.

[​IMG]

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I used to have an sks. I loved that rifle. shoots 7.62 x 39 cartridges which are dirt cheap ($4-5/box of 20). If I feathered the trigger, I could shoot like it was an auto instead of a semi. The round is big enough for deer and small enough for varmit & the recoil is low.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ive never owned a gun in my life, im thinkin about starting up some hunting this fall, (ive never hunted either). im thinkin bow or shotgun. at least i know the bow wont knock me down. (i only weigh aout 170.) maybe i should go with the bow:wink:

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If I was in a survival situation, I'd be just content with ANY gun. :smile2:

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    if youve never used a bow id practice. its definately an art. if it was my first year id go with a shotgun. my first year i used a NE Arms 20ga. single shot. i love that gun. im 16 now and i still use it over my 870 12ga. on some occassions. theres hardly anything that can go wrong with it and if somethin does happen its easy to deal with. hardly a kick at all to it. good luck on your first season man. o, and i was about 5'6 130 pounds my first year usin a shotgun and i was fine:smile2:

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i carry just a simple ruger 22 pistol w/ me. Dont need much more than a paddle for snakes and knife for turtles. I have the 22 "just in case"

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have an old 22/410 over under,,, 22 long rifle hollow points in the top barrel and 3 inch 410 shell with # 6 shot in the bottom barrel. when hunting with it keep the selector on the lower barrel while moving, if you get a still shot switch to the 22........best of both worlds

16. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I never enter the woods with out my Kimber .45acp and a couple extra magazines. I've walked accross way too many meth lab sites while out catching bait. It's the best handgun I have ever owned and shoots like a house-a-fire. I'd trust my life with it!

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My browning BL22 lever action would be my go to gun, as stated before it is a common poachers caliber. Light weight, accurate and cheap to shoot, you could take down anything with a well placed shot. Also as stated before you can get lots of ammo in a little space.

Aaron

TA2D

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 20 ga 22 mag over and under that I used to camp with.easy to carry in your backpack and you can get it put together fast if needed.

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I like my AR-7 22 cal. rifle.
    Its a neat light rifle than can be taken down quickly and it all fits into the stock.
    It will float and is good for the woods, traveling, or in the boat.

20. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    for a survival gun i would use my lever action henry .22 mag. You could carry tons of ammo. It holds 11+1 rounds in the magazine. plus its got enough power for most big game if needed. For protection it would work well too.