Survival gun, what would you pick?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by mcseal2, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw this on another forum and thought some of the answers looked interesting.

If you had to survive with only 1 gun to provide food, protection, and carry your ammunition what would you choose?

I picked the 223 because it is a very common cartridge and you could shoot small game with FMJ's and bigger game with the 60gr partition. I currently use a 243 for coyotes, and 7mm or 30 cal cartridges for anything bigger, but I think I could make it on a 223 if I had to. Also after reading the other post I weighed loaded rounds and it takes 2-3 223 rounds to equal the weight of 1 243 or bigger cartridge. 22's make a lot of sense too but I wanted more range and thump.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I had to survive and had my pick...over/under .223/12ga

3. Gills4Flats

Gills4Flats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you have to Defend yourself from Armed, Human size critters you want nothing less than .30 cal

You need Absolute Reliability

High Capacity

Reasonable accuracy

User friendly

Absolute Reliability

You need a AK-47 (AKM)

Same relative ballistics as a 30/30 for putting meat on the table, and world renowned reliability. :big_smile:

Varmint calibers, like the .223 / 5.56 are the very Minimum for stopping deer size animals, and semi auto weapons chambered in the caliber are Not known for being reliable anywhere but on the Internet... :roll_eyes:

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    well we could go in all different directions here. what's legal and what's not. the politicons (cons) want your guns. so do we buy guns legally or not. Of course we are law abiding americans, so we must have them registered. But then get into the woods and a shot rings out with an illegal gun. Oh crappie. what do we do now? we are out here fending food for our families. but some $%&@* doesn't want us there. buy what you can, where you can.

The .223 is a good all round gun. would love to see it matched with a 12 gauge 3" mag. over under. But pop the fmj out and pop a lead bullet in.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Survival would be about weight and travel over distance. Gimme the Ole .22 Long Rifle in any bolt action for durability.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I had to choose an all around survival gun what would i choose. I would choose a 308. great killing power and will reach out and touch something too. Not an excessive amount of kick, and just a good all around gun.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a 12 gauge pump with a few different loads, like birdshot and buckshot. a .22 would be a good choice because you could carry a LOT of ammo.

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    If I remember right Annie Oakley used a .22 marlin lever action rifle and she seemed to do pretty good with it.

:cool2:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .22 LR is my pick; and it will kill deer.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I say 12 guage pump. With different loads, i can kill anything with it. Good for deer, rabbits, squirrels. It will definately put down a human too, should they be hostile.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    dont want just one. im takin my 12ga. pump and my .22.:big_smile::cool2:

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    For survival ONLY, the .22LR all the way. In any bolt or lever action gun you like.

For survival and personal defense, 12 gauge pump with around a 20" barrel. Buck or birdshot, slugs, the versatility can't be beat. In PD situations, you don't need 200yd or more capability. For hunting, the right gun, the right slug, will do whatever you need out to 150 yds or a bit more (long range) or you can sweep the street with the 00 buck. The plus of the tubular magazine is that you can change loads as you go. :wink:

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd go with .22 cal long rifle, its not the most powerful, but it is light weight, and generally accurate. Shot placement is key to what is lethal. It doesn't have the range of other firearms but it don't make a lot of noise either, little recoil, light weight. It will kill rabbits, it will kill deer. It doesn't have a lot of range, but I once shot a snowshoe hare with a 7mm and there wasn't enough left to eat.

There is a great variety of firearms and ammunition types out there, all are intended for specific things. In a survival situation I reckon stalking or ambush would be a good way to get food, probably close so no need for long range killing power. Just what I'm thinkin, but other folks probably got other ideas about what to survive.

14. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    12 ga. pump, 870 in fact. With a varitey of shells, like others have already said, you can kill anything, birds, squirrls, deer. A slug 12 ga. slug could take down a bear or an Elk too...........

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    An AK-47 with a ton of ammo an I guess I would be set.

16. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    22 Mag shooting hollow points. Knock down, stay down!!!

17. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    my pick would be a bolt action 17 hmr or a 22 long rifle

18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Really, this would probably be close to ideal. I love the .22 Mag, but with the cost factor (sometimes availability is sometimes an issue too), the Long Rifle still is the best choice in a survival gun.

19. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I must be that 1% that's different than everyone else...I'll take a good old 30-30 lever action any day...or a muzzle loader. If I had to, I could make black powder and melt stuff for bullets...but that's looking at -=LONG=- term survival.

--SO--
    Finite term survival & return to civilization- lever action 30-30
    Indefinite term survival & no return to civilization- smoke pole

20. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    just one gun , man thats hard to pick but i guess it would have to be the 22 long rifle ,with the right shot placement they will go down