Surprising early channels

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TNcat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Got out to check some small waters today to see if the Channels are becoming active. To my surprise they were really hitting, and they really weren't lethargic they were really fighting like they would when they are very active. The ambient temp today got up to around 50. For us die hards this is a great sign, means it won't be long!!!!

2. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    That's good news, i have been waiting for the weather to settle out and get warmer to make a trip to the TN river for fishing.

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    sounds like its about time to hit those old stump flats. we got a little place called bigskin creek. right out of the river and full of stumps. always good for some aggressive channels early in the year.

4. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    OkieKrawler that sounds like a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

5. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Tncat,sounds like ya got em goin,I been catchin mostly blues around here with an occasional channel now and then with shad or stink bait,the bites are a little slow:cool:

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey I was very shocked.......I just went out there with some stink bait to see if they were doing anything! I must have caught at least a dozen in an hour or so, and like I said the biggest thing that surprised me was they were not lethargic at all, they were really tearing it up.

7. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    that is usually the first place i go early in the year. the creek is not at all wide but has lots of structure and it is 12 to 14' deep in the channel. pure heaven! in the middle of the spring last year i got a couple of 20+ flats out of some old logjams.

8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Like I said that sounds like a plan. Acouple of 20 plus fish is a fantastic way to get off and going!!!!!!! Flatties are great!!!!!!

9. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    anytime man. hopefully we'll get past all this sleet and cold weather and i can give em a try. may have to get bigsammy in on this too.

10. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I'm there bro!Ain't sure I know where yer talkin,but I'm there anyway:rock-big:

11. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    just above l&d 14 on the muldrow side. lots of people crappie fish it but not many catfish.

12. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Think I know the place but not so sure,boat ramp with a big bluff on the muldrow side too?

13. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    yup, just below the boat ramp is the mouth of the creek. also an old road bed and a huge stump field about 4' of water and logs. nice and snaky!

14. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    That sounds sweet Okie