Surprise Irvine lake new species caught.

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    A suprise catch was made at Irvine lake. A 16 pound flathead was caught in the flats. Jimmy of Irvine lakes stated that Irvine has not planted any flatheads to his knowledge and believes it came in from the pipeline. The fish was released to grow bigger and hopefully mate with a female flatty if one is in there.

On a historical note flatheads have been found at Corona lake. a few years ago. Santeee lakes in San Diego had a 30 pounder last year caught. Sante Fe Dam had one caught 3 months ago. Plus Perris lakes found some flatheads as well last year according to a Jim Matthews report. Some believe they are coming in through colorado river pipeline that feeds the reservoirs, or maybe somebody may be going on a plant mission. The pipe line theory seems to be a supporting theory though.

Attached Files:

2. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    That's interesting. Wish we had some flats & blues in the Fresno Slough / Mendota Slough area. There's sure plenty of bullheads for them to eat.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'm surprised, but doubt they will reproduce in a lake. Would be fun to catch one tho.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    They can reproduce in a lake if enough of them are present. I don't think that is the case for Irvine though. That has been the fear of many lakes here is for flatheads to get in them and reproduce. Eventhough I would love to see them. I know it could do some damagae to the smaller man made lakes here.

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Somebody isn't paying attention at that lake and I suspect it's Jimmy.
    I've seen flat heads in the display from Irvine lake at the Fred Hall show.
    I know they claimed to have planted the lake with them. I think I have posted about that before and my suspicion that they would be difficult to catch because Irvine doesn't allow the use of live bait.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I hear what you are saying Tom... :wink:
    I have fished the lake in three different boats of mine over the years.....:wink:
    No one checks the boats .... in or out of the lakes..... or at least mine...:confused2:
    Could easily have some "fresh caught" trout or gill used for bait:eek:oooh:

7. gator07

gator07 New Member

State:
    ca.
    Hi,guys & gals, I went to irvine in the summer time with my underwater cam.I seen three or four flatheads in there.I don't know if they are male or female.Maybe they can get fish & game to check it out for them.or someone that knows more about them.there are some really big blues in this lake.I know because i seen them on my cam.the water was clear that week that i was there.I seen alot of blues around the dam area.I tryed to get them to bite but my bait was old & you guys know that you need fresh bait to get them.I wouldlike to go back there with a better cam & lights.It get dark in the deeper so to make it easier to see them.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Since the quagga issue is going on now they been doing that. Even hired a guy there to do just that with a check off sheet now. They been doing that since the issue came up a year and a half ago. At first it was troutman65 now its another guy doing the inspections dressed in full security gear of Irvine.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea they have some big blues in there. The dam areas always been a heaven for them at Irvine. Especially the tower vacinity but no one can fish the tower unless you happen to roll with staff on one of the off nights.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is new to me. I know Corona lake had some and some was even caught in the past there. I think I recall some on display there as well one time for the show a while ago. I talked to man last night on the phone and he questioned me about it. Could be though. Flatheads have showed up in some unusual places even Perris. The bottom line for that issue is the owner of the lake Dave Noyes and also the full manager Danielle. They been running the lake for ten or so years or more since outdoor safari had it. No one even knew what kind of fish it was when it was caught until Jimmy had to verify it. They thought it was some channel or blue cat. Even called me to to double check it later on with the pics. They get their water from Lake Matthews which gets theirs from the Colorado River. There just very well may be some flatheads in Lake Matthews then if that is the case.

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I'm sure they are in Mathews seeing how they are in Havasu where the Ca Aqueduct starts off.
    One thing that has always struck me as odd is that no one seems to fish that duct out in the Rice area. I know it's accessible and there is no reason there shouldn't be good flat heading and striper fishing in it. Maybe it's because it seems so remote, but isn't that a good thing?

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I think I have posted about that before and my suspicion that they would be difficult to catch because Irvine doesn't allow the use of live bait.>

Poppycock! Flatties will take fresh cut bait just as quickly as they will live bait. This I know, as we have a large population of flatties here in SC, and I catch an equal number of them on both live and cut bait. Really, probably catch MORE of them on cut bait.

Bill in SC

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Agreed. I found that fresh dead bluegill cuts and also goldffish and tilapia cuts have caught some flats at the river this way. Definitely not better than live bait, but it has caught some of the smaller grade flats before using those cuts even during the day time bite. A good rule of thumb sometimes if your bait happens to go dead cut some of them up in chunks and you can have some good cut bait to use for channels and smaller grade flats at that. Might even get a decent size flat on it even.

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Say what you might but My experience is that although I've caught a few smaller flats on cut bait while fishing for channels, all of the larger flat heads I've caught have gone for live bait.
    I won't say a bigger fish will not take fresh cut bait because I believe that all catfish are opportunistic feeders.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    this past summer, my friend and i were fishing near imperial dam at night. usuing cut bluegill. had my biggest flathead to side of boat that night. then the hook came loose. point is, did better on the bigger ones on cut bait than live last summer. they will and do eat both. just make it fresh.
    gary

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I will make sure I make way to that direction this flathead season for sure. That is one area I wanted to try for a while now.

17. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    I wish we hand flats down here

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    brian, i'll make a guess and partner agreed with me. it was over 60. i'll show you spot, but won't tell you it's the spot. LOL i'll show you a few spots i know down here, a few deep holes, and then you go!!!!
    gary

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure Gary. Can not wait to check out that part of the river. Need to try new areas.

20. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for the report Blue. Can't wait for the flat season and the Blythe Gathering. I think I might stab a blue gill and throw him in there half dead and bleeding......see how that works.:wink: