Surging outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DittmeRhino, Mar 18, 2007.

1. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    NOTE: This thread is also posted in boat repair.

I have a 2003 90hp mercury w/ an outboard jet. When I parked it last fall, I sta-bil'ed the gas and fogged it. It started right up, but about 3 or 4 minutes into a ride, it starts surging. If you press on the key (engage choke), comes out of it. But keeps it up.
    I thought it might be fuel....changed it....no luck.
    Fuel filter....changed it....no luck.
    A buddy recommended Sea Foam instead of Sta-Bil....no change.
    Checked the fuel pickup....it's fine.
    Checked the fuel tank vent....it's fine.
    I installed a new fuel line and primer bulb....no change.
    I had a friend look at the new fuel filter when it was surging....and he says that the filter never showed a lack of gas in it.
    Well, I am just about to the end of my wits, not to mention that I want to FISH!!!!
    Any suggestions will be very appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of the high speed jets in one of the carbs is stopped up. It will have to be torn down and soaked and rebuilt. I woild say a piece of varnish or trash got into it and when it fired up it moved into the needle and seat and stuck there not letting enough fuel into the carb bowl. The high speed jet can't get enough fuel to bring that cylinders on line properly. Don't run it for long like that it can and will cause piston damage.

3. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any idea about what that should cost to have done.
    AND THANK YOU for the diagnosis.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Mark I really couldn't answer that part for you but you could call one of your local repair shops and get a estimate or do it your self. They aren't that hard to do and will save you a ton of money.