Surgery should I do it?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jul 1, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been bothered by a very bad shoulder for over a year, I cant raise my arm much past head level and the pain is very bad..I had an Mri done and I do have a torn tendon, that needs repaired..I am torn about having it fixed and being off work for awhile, and barely getting by, or sucking it up and just do what I have been doing, which is enduring alot of pain.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the surgurey should be done it will save you a lot of pain in the and time from work in the long run. Bills come every month whether your ready for them are not and if your pay ontime most companies will work with you for one month of bills. If you have short term disability insurance at your job check with them to see if it cover nesacery surgury. If not suck it up now to save your shoulder from futher injury. just my worthless opinion.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I say go with the surgery.

4. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get the surgery brother. You'll never be able to set the hook on Ol' Whiskers right till you do.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The way I see it Jack is;
    1. you can get the sugery and get to where you can lift the arm without the pain.
    2. You say when you lift your arm at head level it hurts? Well don't do that anymore, LOL!!!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont have much trouble setting the hook, but casting is very painfull, and after throwing a castnet a few times I cant even lift my arm for a few days, it just dangles at my side. but hey fishing must go on!..The worst is when I wake up in the morning and have to use my good arm to get my bad arm working

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If it were me I would get the surgery, Rather then sit there and endure all the pain. Kinda like putting up with a tooth ache, don't you think?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I actually think throwing a castnet is what caused the injury in the first place..Because I have throwned one literly hundreds and hundreds of times over the last few years..I will probably decide to have the surgery, my job does have short term disability insurance, but it's not enough to pay all the bills..I think I will wait till August so maybe I will be healed up enough for fall fishing and still be off work:roll_eyes:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Actually I can blaim part of it on Mellon, cause I always had to catch the bait:big_smile: And carrying half his gear for the last few years did not help:embarassed:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think thats the one, but not positive.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

use your short term disability and send mellon a bill for the rest tell him its for caddy fees and then add 20% tip for yourself. LOL:lol:

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man I get blamed for everything. :lol: You now have insurance, so hopefully the $ burden wont be as bad. Sure hope it gets better, hopefully it wont knock out your deer hunting.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think mellon should pick up what disability doesnt cover then!

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Jack it's not going to get any better you need to go on and get it fixed. I know a guy that had a messed up shoulder and held off from getting it fixed for the same reasons as you, they fired him after awhile and said it was for something else so he would not make a clam on the insurance, now he is stuck with a messed up shoulder and no way to get it fixed. Good luck my friend, hope it works out for you. Mellon being the friend he is will carry your stuff and catch bait for ya'll. Just make sure he use's his own cast net. LOL

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Get cut on on before it gets worse! Yeh you'll be off work for a while but you will be pain free.
    Bill

16. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Flathunter when you said surgery I thought you meant to have mellon surgical removed.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL CONVENTION

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Now that is funny right there. LMAO

Jack, get the surgery in the winter brother, that way you can fish up till then. My dad had a torn rotator cup and got it fixed last year. Said it was the most painful thing he has ever felt. This is coming from a guy that hit a telephone pole head on in 82 going 70mph. Died in the hospital and was laid up for over 9 months. Almost lost his leg to gang green, had to sit in water as hot as he could stand every day. Broke over 30 bones if I remember right and had pins in several places.

Good luck hoss, not trying to scare ya, just giving you some info on it.

18. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Jack go ahead and get it fixed. Things will work out and you will feel better and not be troubled with that arm. I know it can be kind of scary when not working and no income but sounds as if you might be going down that road anyway with that arm. Just had a friend have basically the same surgery and now he is fine. God Bless

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Jack I have had the surgery done it sure saved me a lot of pain for a while here it is now about 3 years later ans guess what i need it again so i go back in again but i myself am waiting till winter. I cant miss any of my tourneys. so do what is right for you and your family time and money wise then get it done.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jack, for goodness sake stop throwing that cast net! You are just causing more and more damage to the tendon. You'll just have to let Mellon do it, even if he can't catch anything (sorry, Bryan :lol:) Go get the surgery so you can recover and get back to fishing again! Mellon needs his mentor in tip-top shape!