Surgeon's Loop for Jigs in Tandem???

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by DemolitionMan, Jul 8, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
  2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use it all the time when fishing for skipjack.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used the surgeon's knot for years and years. The regular dropper knot is just too cumbersome to tie--you need about 5 hands.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ditto!
    Actually there is a way to tie the dropper loop that makes it fairly easy but the surgeon's loop is easy and reliable...W

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you ignore the way most illustrations tell you to tie a dropper loop, they're a lot easier to tie...

Instead of wrapping the loop around and around, then trying to open up the center hole to put the loop through, hold the center hole open with your index fingers and put the twist there - you can make a half turn with the index finger of one hand, then another half turn with the other, back and forth till you get a half dozen twists or so. You'll have to do some gymnastics to get the loop through the center hole (I push it through with my fingers than grab the loop with my mouth and cinch it up), but it's easy enough you can tie it in under 10 seconds with practice...

Not a good explanation, I know -maybe I'll try to get some photos one of these days.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the link, Katman....

I've about decided to take a knitting class and use a knitting needle if I'm gonna tye a "dropper loop"....Then I thought about the "surgeons loop" and wondered whether it would be just as strong....

Mr. T,

I'm gonna try that...I'm not going to quit yet.....Dwight

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Finally found an animation that shows how I tie the dropper loop. In the animation, they use a match stick to twist the loop; use your fingers instead, alternating hands on each half-turn. Hope this makes it easier - my dad has trouble doing it this way; his 75 year old fingers won't do what he tells them to quite as easily as they once did...

http://www.marinews.com/Dropper-Loop-419.php?PHPSESSID=4290682a380f3d71f394b8f6cd7b1391

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Mr. T,

Thanks for that link....With the match in the middle, it simplifies things a lot....As I was watching, I think you might be able to use a hollow tube to do the same thing with except when you get through twisting the line, run the loop through the tube and pull the tube out and the line would be through the hole...Similar to tying a "nail knot".....Thanks again for the link....Dwight

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    How would it work to use a Palomar and leave long tag?
    Jake

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    kyjake,

Well, a palomar is not much different than a Surgeon's loop.....I tried the surgeon's loop today while fishing an old river...I had mixed results with it...With snags, one time the line broke at the bottom of the knot....Dwight