Surge trophy cat or E-cat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by MAX1955, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Which rod is better, the surge trophy cat or the e-cat rods, or are they about the same. Just your thoughts and experience with either rod or both.

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've not seen the Surge rods. Can't offer any comparisons on them.

I used to have several E-Cats. They were nice rods, but honestly, I felt that they were a little over priced. I bought them the first or second year they were out, and paid $90 each for them. Of course, back then, it was either the E-Cats or the St. Croix Classic Cats if you wanted a "catfish" rod, and I wasn't shelling out the cash for the St. Croix rods.

I wouldn't pay $90 for them again. If they come back out at $69, I guess that wouldn't be too bad of a price, but I think that they could get them down to around $60 or so without sacrificing anything. They'd sell more of them in that price range.

I just bought 4 of the NiteStik Pro 7.5' rods and feel that they are a very fine rod. Most places on-line have them for around $45 or so.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Never had a surge catfish rod, so I cant comment on them. I do have a E cat 4 and it is a extremely good rod. The new ones are priced at 69.95. I was told by John that the new ones are just like the originals. I also have to St Croix classic cat rods, got a great deal on them. I like the e cat better.
    JMHO

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I just unwrapped 3 new Surge Trophies Thursday night when I got home from work. I should have gotten the Trophy Elites (better reel seats) but Catfish Connection only stocked the Elites in M/H, not H like I wanted.

They're sweet looking and if they hold up half as well as they look I'll be using them a looooooong time from now:wink:

I was really torn between them and another rod, but they showed their river rods as out of stock on the web site(I'm so stupidly impatient that I wanted my new gear NOW even though I probably won't use it till late March:smile2:) and I really prefer the cork handles on the Surge rods.

I'll hopefully post up some happy info this spring on how well they did pulling in a new PB blue:wink:

5. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive fished with the Surge rods before, your gonna love them!:wink:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My vote would be on the surge trophy elites. They have stainless eyes tip to butt, and a super strong metal reel seat. One thing I noticed about them is the wrappings on the eyes is doubled and really tight. No gaps here. The e-cats have a plastic seat. they have stainless guides with titanium oxide inserts. Very nice. But then they topped it off with a plain chrome tip. What's the point in the expensive eyes with a cheep tip. Thats where 80% of the wear will take place. I'm not a big fan. Go with the surge...

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Dang man I keep running into you!.... Maybe because Chrome is hard and strong. Maybe because a good chrome tip will not groove with braid. The tip like you stated is where all the wear takes place. Maybe inserts are more likely to pop out at the tip? Just my thinking about it.. In a logical way you know. :wink: Then again my surge rods sit in a corner with dust on them and I use The Rod Shop rods.

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    used to have 4 e-cats loved them got wild hair and sold them, was gonna buy 2 this season but decided to try team catfish 3/4 ton they haven't arrived yet but will post when i try them:wink:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Wish you would have told me that, might have made a deal that save me some shipping....:smile2:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hey if you like them let me know. We can deal any time man. :wink:

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll let you know this fall after I've beat the snot out of these - if they survive the summer I may phase out my 6600/Tiger combos and go to all 7000/Surge set ups:smile2:

12. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You should have your new 3/4 TON rods by Wed. or Thurs. next week if FED-EX does their part.......:wink:

Good Luck with the 3/4' TONS's, and thanks for choosing a Team Catfish rod.:wink:

Thank you for supporting a BOC Sponsor!:wink:

I hope you catch a whopper!:wink:

13. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Go with the Surge Rods. They are Awesome! The stainless steel eyes will not wear a groove using braid.All my rods are Surge and I have not had one problem with them in 4 years. The Elite series (I think) only come in MH.

14. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were is the best place to buy the surge rods? i think i am going to buy a few to try this year...

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I ordered mine from Catfish Connection. Their prices looked in line compared to everywhere else I looked and I grew up over by there so I try to order from there when I can:smile2: I think I ordered them on a Friday or Saturday and they were on the doorstep the next Wednesday or Thursday.

Jim, I think you're right, I had to go with the Trophy series since I wanted the heavy action rods. Why the heavies don't come with a metal reel set is beyond me, though:smile2:

16. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I love my Surge rods. Have caught 3 flats over 50 on the MH Trophy series (spinning and casting).

17. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I've got a Surge Trophy Elite with a 7000C3i on it. I like white rods so I can see them better at night. This is my favorite combo. I will definitely get be getting some more.

18. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I am sold with the catfish safari rods. I only got one for now, its the black with blue wraps. Called a team seaark, But a believe it is a lake rod in a black suit. I will be sure to have a complete arsenal soon.:cool2: Thanx Steve:smile2:

19. kyblue

kyblue New Member

State:
    ky
    am i right or do these rods only come in 1 piece?

20. RayA

RayA New Member

State:
    Oak Grove Mo.
    I have a Surge Trophy class and love it they are 7'10" one piece M/H and 10 eye's and tip.the cork handles are big enough ya feel like ya have ahold a something when ya pick it up.got it topped with a 7000ABU and Love it