Surge Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by roh1961, Apr 18, 2007.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Unless I see something different soon I will be ordering two spinning and two casting Surge rods. I am going to use Okuma EB80 spinning reels and Penn 500L Jigmaster reels on the rods with 30 lb line to use mainly in the Red and Mississippi rivers. I have a regular handle 10 ft Bruin spinning rod that I like but can't find any more and I don't like using surf rods because of the mile long handles. The 10 ft length is okay but I want something shorter so it will be easier to use more than one at a time out of a boat. If using 5 oz. or better weights for fishing behind the locks; which action would work better: medium, or medium heavy? I will have to order these rods and although I think I prefer the heavy action, I can't return them because of a bad decision. What's your preference between the two actions? Thanks, Randy

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Why don't you look at www.stcroixrods.com first. If your gonna spend that king of money then I would suggest at least taking a look.

Besides as many helpful people that are on here at least one or twho should be able to give you the advice you seek!
    Good luck and tight lines Brother!

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah let's get a St croix rod and spend $170 each. Let's see thats 680$? for 4 rods. Because we are spending that kind of money after all!! There only about 100$ more then a surge.
    PGM80HM PremierĀ® Glass Musky Rod 20 - 60 1 - 8 11.5 $ 170
    Thats the rod that came up when I selected freshwater river fishing with cut bait!

I would go with the MH action rod if you are going to get a surge I like the 2 MH casting rods I have. I mainly use an 8oz sinker in the missouri river. That and throwing a nice chunk of cut bait. They do have a nice soft tip that can really load up and cast a bait.

4. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry, I meant medium heavy or heavy actions. My mind doesn't work as fast as my keypad pecking sometimes.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Randy just buy one rod at a time, cheap rods wont last ya.

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Randy, The MH rods are good up to 8 oz. and use the H 8oz. and above. If you buy St. Croix rods your buying a name. You can't go wrong with Surge rods. Thats all I use...

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    James I disagree with, that comment. St Croix Rods are well made and are made in the USA they are better than most of the cheap rods and includeing Ugly Sticks, and I stand by that comment. Give the USA folks a change to make a few dollars.

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    St. Croix will get my money if they ever bring back their cat rods.

9. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That mean 8 oz weight, or weight and bait? I'm leaning toward the heavy action but would hate to try to throw a broomstick. Thanks, Randy

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

You didn't have to be so grumpy with me. I was just trying to help you out. I had thought you were looking for a good rod and just thought you might be interested. After all most of those "upper end" rods have lifetime guarantees and stuff. All (or most) of mine are "no-fault" guarantees, so if I step on it or it just malfunctions you get a new one. Thats all I was implying. I'm definately not rich either, but I do take my hobbies seriously enough to try to get the best bargain I can get so I don't have to replace stuff all the time. Maybe look at a good Fenwick then? Sorry I made you upset.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya if u cant afford the St Croix, try the Fenwick Rods.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You did not make me upset. Plus I was not the one looking for the rod. I was just trying to help the guy out with his question on surge rods. The surge rods are a great rod and I would take one over the St.croix and fenwick any day. You don't need the name to catch fish. Then again I no longer buy production rods for catfishing. Just don't like there blanks. There's a local company that I'm starting to get all my catfishing rods from. By far will blow any fenwick or st.croix away. They cost less then your production rods as well.

And CJ21 must you always copy what other's have said in every post you make?

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am sorry if I made ya mad, but I still stick to what I say. No Company has made a perfect catfish rod yet. So u have to pick and choice.

14. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Josh, Surge rods may be great rods ,but, you can't dog on the St. Croix rods just b/c they are more expensive. They are more expensive for a reason, they are better rods. They are as light as a feather, they are way way more sensitive, and just all around better constructed. Now you can hook into a catfish, no matter the size, and put it into your boat just as easily and with just as much fun and confidence using a Surge rod as you would if you were using a St. Croix rod. BUT... thats not the point. Some people (like me) take fishing extremely serious, and some of us pay lots and lots of money for the very best, top of the line equipment, not only so we can take great pride in our fishing gear, but b/c when it comes down to it, in the end these St. Croix rods are just that much better. Plus you can get a life-time warranty on some of the St. Croix rods as already stated in a previous post. Trust me, its hard to understand why someone would pay that much for a rod, untill you actually do it. Then you will see.

15. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have never caught the "monster" yet, but on fish up to 13# I have used everything from Zebco to St. Croix. I own Catmax, King Kat, Fenwick, etc. I do not own St Croix as I can't afford it, but I will tell you having fished often with a buddy's St Croix, they are head and shoulders above the rest. I was completely blown away the first time I used one. I remember thinking "so this is why they cost so much....!" Anyway I have been slowly buying into better rods as I break my cheap ones. I am learning as with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Both Cabelas and BPS offer graphite musky rods in the $60 - $80 range and have great customer service on damaged poles. JMHO

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    St.croix and Fenwick are all I use anymore and will never - ever down trade again! I lost a huge walleye on a Shakespere "Sigma" rod when the tip broke off! "Never again" I said and I promptly emptied my bankroll on a few delectable choice rods and reels (Shimano Symetre & Stradic) Now let that darned ol' Walleye try it again! Pay the extra you won't be dissapointed or embarrassed at the Riverbank cause of "the one that got away"!
    -J.M.O.

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have 2 SURGE Rods, both Heavy action. Great rods! :worship: It's been a month since your post, have you made a purchase yet?