SURGE Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jan 11, 2010.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I was looking into these and was wondering if the MH action is tough enough for large flathead or should I just go with the heavy. Keep in mind that I will be using circle hooks. Pretty much the ? is "does the heavy action have any play or is it a broom stick"?

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i just got the MH and by looks and feel of it, it can land a pretty big fish. i dont think you would have any problems using circle hooks because it has a soft tip and a good backbone.

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I can recommend the Surge Trophy Elite M/H. This is a very stout rod. I really like the stainless guides and the stainless, double locking reel seat. I have two and plan to get more. I have them matched with ABU 7000's

4. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own a Surge m/h elite it has a nice soft tip as for the heavy I wouldn't know about that one.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What kind of water do you fish? If it's a river do you fish the Mo. or like the Raccoon or something? Your in Iowa I would guess M/H is fine for you. You don't have that heavy of current.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I mainly fish the Des Moines river and at times it takes a good 12 ounces of led to hold. I have a bunch of heavy action rods and would kind of want to stay on the heavy side BUT If the Surge heavy is EXTRA heavy than I do not need it, looking for the action of a catmaxx heavy but a better built rod. I think I will just order one in each action and see which I like more.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The m/h elite is stout enough for you. I landed 2 50 pound blues with mine last year, and it was in unbelievable current. (my anchor line was humming). No problems with them. They're heavy enough to drag a g.m. 4.3 6 cylinder block across a concrete floor. LOL, I did it to prove a point to my buddies at work. These rods are unbelievably strong. I just wish they made them in different wrap colors. Once you put that rod in your hand you'll see it's the finest rod money can buy. Incredibly strong blank, metal seat, double wrapped eyes.. I'll have a few more of them this year........

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I would go with the MH. They are good up to 8 oz. sinkers but, you can throw bigger you just want get as much distants.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Brandon "BKS72" has a set of surge rods, med-hy if i'm not mistaken and loves them. He's caught 70+ fish on them in Mo. river current. Prolly cause he ain't runnin them black n silver Penns, but thats a different story.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

11. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I fish the Ohio. I use 5 to 10 oz in good current, up to 15 oz. in heavy current. The Trophy Elite is 7'10" witch is a bit long for a boat, but I like a long rod. The reel seat is not stainless, but some type of anodised metal.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang Steve, i thought i would get a rise out of ya over them Penns. Just rattlin ya chain bud, i know they are good reels. To bad i ain't fisherman enuff to throw em.:laugh1:

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    John, I almost started writing ya a PM..........Then I figured I would take a walk and cool off first!!! LMAO!!!

Reps to ya!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    They are Good rods from what i can see..I want to get one and a TWC rod...I suggest you look up Dtrofishon on youtube he has some BIG BIG catfish caught on a surge rod and a 7000c3i!!!

15. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Cheap surge rods 573.874.2277