Surge fishing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Believer, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Do any guys use these?
    I've seen them at a local shop & really like them. They seem like great rods for both cat fishing or snagging but, i'm hesitant to drop $60 on one.

Thanks!

Eric

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Who are they made by? I have never heard of this particular line of fishing rods. Some extra info would be appreciated :)

3. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Eric, I think I just posted in one of your other threads but to answer your question. I use these rods and they are awesome. You don't have to woory about the eyes popping out and the MH have a fast action tip, which is great for flatheads and plenty of back bone and can handle up to 8oz. of lead easily. The heavys can handle all the above. I pic at the top of the page is a 86lb. blue I caught using a surge rod and it was no problem...

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric, I HIGHLY recommend them as well. I have about 5 of the heavy rods and my dad and buddy all use the same ones. They have a great tip and PLENTY of backbone to get some pressure on the big ones and can handle plenty of lead. You definately wont be disappointed in them I know I love them. There is actually a baitshop out here in Columbia where I go to school and that guy was the one who designed them. They are going to be coming out with a new model before too long a Tournament series with stainless reel seats and a few other upgrades he said. I dont know him very well and am not affiliated with him in anyway I just love to rods and highly recommend them. The stainless eyes are nice too and they wont get grooves and wear on your line and he has told me they have a lifetime warranty I have seen people walk in with abused rods and he even exchanges them for new ones! You will love them man! Good luck!

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have one and wouldnt hestate buying another one, looks to,be top of the line. I know that I like it. I also have tiger and uglystick and a couple of custom rods.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I bought one today & took it snagging for a few hours. Even though I didn't get a chance to give it a workout, I sure do like the feel of it!

Eric

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric, glad you like them! I knew you would, just wait till you reel in your first hawg on it! Then you will fall in love! Good luck!

8. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those that have a Surge.

1) Are they one piece or two?
    2) What are they made of? Eglass, graphite, fiberglass?
    3) Do they have blank thru handle construction?

Their web site doesn't answer any of these questions as well as others I have. If anyone can fill in the blanks, I would sure appreciate it.

Ralph

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Cliffcat, they are one piece,e-glass, and yes to your last question...

10. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I've got three of these and am leary of using anything else 1 piece rod dont know about the construction though wondering how it compares to a tiger. I just cant imagine anything better though

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like I may have to give one a try soon. Does CC sell them?

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I don't recall seeing them in their catalog, but you can check out hotlures.biz. & search for surge trophy catfish rods. That's the only place online that i've seen them.
    I haven't caught a cat on mine yet, but I have landed an 13 lb spoonbill & an 8 lb carp with no problems. I love it! :)

Eric

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Mine came from here. hot lures, 748 n. hwy. 67 suite 283 florissant mo.
    hotlures.biz Type in surge in search ,
    Probely other place sell too, This is the only place i know of.
    Hope this helps

14. BigTimeWaterFowler

BigTimeWaterFowler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I luv surge rods! I suggest them to anybody they are bad to the bone!

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I stumbled across the Surge rods by mistake when I was looking for the St. Croix Classic Cats that were discontinued. The point of contact for these rods is a guy named Adam who runs a tackle shop called Tombstone Tackle out of Columbia, Missouri. I have spoken to him by phone on many occasions and was really impressed with him and his customer service. I have also spoken to the guy who designed the rod to find out what it was made of, and so forth(he wouldn't tell me). Good guys all around, but to this day I don't exactly know what this rod is made of, but it's pretty slick, and I love the action. I don't think you can go wrong with this rod. It holds it's own with any store bought rod, to include a Tiger. The only way to get better is to go custom...My only hang-up is it's more prone to chipping than a Tiger, and my hook keeper came off.:sad: Other than that, I am pleased with it, and would purchase a Surge anytime in the future if I was going with a store bought rod. I can PM anyone with Adam's contact information if you're interested. No, I am not a Surge rep, just adding my own two cents...

Take care,
    Vic

16. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Just looking for more input on these rods. Looking to upgrade this spring and am torn between these, "the boss" and tigers. Anyone got any pros and cons they could add?

thanks Bill

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just noticed these rods on the Catfish Connection website.

18. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Eric,
    You sent me a P.M..
    I tried to send one back to you to answer your question but the system said that you had too many P.M.s in your basket to receive another and wouldn't send you anymore until you deleted some of them.
    Me not being computer savey didn't know what to do so I posted this message, hopfuly somebody knows what to do.
    P.M. me again when you correct the problem.

By the way could somone tell me how to do a new post on the board??
    Thanks!

19. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Where do you find these rods? I have never seen them anywhere in NY.

20. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Just got back from a boat show in IL their was a guy there that had these surge rods i was looking at them and he came over picked up one put the tip on the floor and then took the handle with both hands and leaned forward till the rod was almost bent in half he did this several times this is one tough rod oh and all the guys that worked at this stand were wearing quantum gear he said he switched to surge after breaking 2 of the big cats rods on fish.But iam pretty sure you could do the same thing with a tiger rod and it wouldn't break either if you want a foam handle go with the tiger if you want a little longer rod 7ft 10in with a cork handle with tigger i'd go with the surge. tiger was 55.00 at basspro the surge rods were 69.00at the show.