Surge Fishing Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Zing, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just used my new surge rod and have to say it preformed perfect. I'm using the spinning rod with a baitrunner reel loaded with 30# test, was able to catch three blues the largest was 23lbs. I was using 8/0 circle hooks and it loaded up great. The tip has enough action for live bait. I am pleased with this new rod.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats Richard.:0a23: Glad to hear that the rod performed well.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Which Surge did you get? The Trophy Cat Series, or the Elite Series??

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Which is better the trophy series or the elite series and have they corrected the problem with the eyes breaking ? I'd read that complaint quite a bit in previous posts and was wondering if it been corrected before I purchase one .

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The elite series are in between the MH and the H trophy cat series. The elite series are stiffer but perfect for faster current such as on the mississippi. I have 5 MH trophy series rods and the only problem I have had was the eye wraps flaking off and a busted hood on a reel seat. I really love the action of the MH trophy cat series,especially for slower water like on the ohio river and cumberland river. You are gonna get good and bad rods anytime you deal with mass produced rods. To me, Adam will take care of you with problems and the action of the rod is worth it. To many rods are being custom built now and are POOL CUES OR BROOMSTICKS.:big_smile:

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the trophy cat MH. I will let everone know if I have any problems but as now none to date. I do not do a lot of casting with it, fishing from a boat, so I can not help anyone with that. Have fun and be safe

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard, I have had 6 of the "trophy series" mh (with trigger) and my Boss uses them now, but I did have some problems with one that snapped like a twig between the 2nd and 3rd eye (could have been a bad spot on the blank) Also one of the rods hood (plastic) split, like "slimcat" said......other than that I liked the rods.......Now, all my SURGES are the "elite" model w/o the trigger and a metal reel seat. I also use reel clamps to secure my reels! The metal rings on the Elite's seem to work loose....Adam at tombstone was VERY helpful and I am a satisfied customer.:big_smile:Thats all I can report about the rods.....not what he said or she said, but.....what I have personally experienced! Hope this little bit of info has helped in some way...I would purchase more of the "elites" in the future if need be! I also use several other brands of rods, just depends on what type of fishing I am doing that particular day!:wink:

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Does anyone know how the Surge rods compare to the Jim Moyer "The Boss" rods. I have 4 Jim Moyers and I like them, I'm just wondering how they compare to the Surge rods. Which is better ? Or are they about the same ? Thanks.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Totally different blanks and actions I would say Kevin. The Moyer rod is much faster action but a good rod, just depends on where and how you fish and what your looking for in a rod.