surge catfish rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by tarheel77, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tarheel77

tarheel77 New Member

State:
    nc
    Anyone tried the surge catfish rods? I was thinking about ordering one of those and a team catfish rod to compare. I like the cork handles on the surge rod but havent seen either one.

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never fished with a surge rod myself, but I've heard others speak very highly of them. Good luck and be sure to let us know how they compare.

3. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    i have all models of surge rods,they are very good rods to fish with.i like the md-heavy for most of my fishing.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Ihave both & both are good rods, I like the cord handle and hook keeper on the
    Catfish safari rod, have flathead rod. no complaints on ether rod. I'am sure you would like ether one.
    Jim

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know a few people that use them. From what I hear, good rods but have a couple concerns.

1. The guides are not solid stainless steel. They are just stainless coated and the coating is wearing off.

2. I believe there was a problem with the hook keeper, too small for big hooks maybe, or weak?

Hope this helps!

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 2 of them. They're really strong rods. The hook keeper is a little small. But, I have'nt noticed anything wrong with the stainless pelling off the eyes yet.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've heard of a few folks having problems with the Surge rods myself but can't remember exactly what the issues were. Take a look at Catfish Safari's Rods also, some good stuff there, built to last!

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Tarheel, Surge rods is all I fish with. They are a awesome rod and can handle anything you throw at them. The eyes are solid stainless steel and the new rods have a bigger hook keeper. The only problem I have with the rods is that, the handles are cork veneer and not solid...

9. tarheel77

tarheel77 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for all the information, Im going to order both and try them out

10. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    what size of team catfish rod u gonna get?

11. tarheel77

tarheel77 New Member

State:
    nc
    3/4 ton, I'd guess that the average size of fish I catch around here is 15 to 20lbs I have several heavy action rods but I like the give of the med heavy better

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use only white rods. The last time I looked team catfish did'nt offer a white rod.

13. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 2 Surge rods and like them. Also have 6 Catfish Safari Rods and those are good rods as well.

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Team Catfish rods came out in October, I believe. They're white E-glass rods with stainless guides and foam grips.

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm looking for 5 or 6 rods at the moment. I can't find what I want in the combinations I want. I want a lot of stainless eyes on a white pole. 7'6"-7'8" m/h-h. Metal seat. Basically I want a surge elite rod in different color combinations. I might have to make my own. I'd like a couple with black and yellow wraps, (color matched to vintage 600 c's with yellow power pro) A couple with yellow and red wraps. (red 7000's with yellow power pro) Where do I find the blanks? I would'nt be so scared to buy the equipment and start making them If I could see and feel the blanks. Shopping on the internet can get expensive when you're not sure exactly what your ordering.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
  17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
  18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just looked at them better. I like them alot The only thing I seen I didn't like was they don't appear to have hook keepers. I dont like hooking my heavy weights to the reel or an eye. I wonder if They'd give me a discount if I spent 300-400 dollars. I'll have to put some kind of keeper on them.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jeff brought the rods when he first came out with them to one of our tournaments and they are really nice. Give him a call and Im sure he can help you out. Tell him to send me a check for my referal fee. :smile2::wink::smile2:

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Will do. As soon as i get my taxes back I'll give him a shout. I'll tell him your an excellent salesman..:smile2: