Surfin anyone?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gilmafam, Jan 6, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    As I have watched the various post develop, and the treads that comes from this effort, I am amazed with the skills and talents that the members of the BOC has and displays.... I know that some of you do what you do quite well... professionals of many walks of life and different pass time activies other than catfishing. I kind of grew up with being at the beach here in Redondo Beach.... Not to say that I did not get out of town as a young boy with my father, and friends to enjoy the outdoors that we all know from being fishermen.... My question to you is. How many of you have put your legs over or laid on a "surf board" and tried, or better yet have spent some time "riding the waves" of the ocean.... I bet that quite a few have done so.... where have you surfed? If you did try to do this how did you do....??

bayrunner ray

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My parents bought a place at the beach years ago. It came with a surf board.
    The previous owners left it in their outside toy box.
    I tried a few times and figured out what I always thought.
    NC doesnt have surfing waves.
    We have wave enough to get up on a board and thats about it.
    Our waters are shallow to well offshore.

From what I understand you need deep water that quickly goes to shallow at the shore to get surfing waves.

Last week I watched a documentary of sorts on the California surfers of old.
    The first guys to live as bums on the beaches of Hawaii and the discovery of the North Shore and its waves. I enjoyed watching that. It's a whole different world now.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have never been on a surf board! In fact I have only been to the ocean like 4 times in my life!:sad2: It's a good haul to get to a beach from here in Western Pa.!

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I have never done any surfing but grew up on the Gulf. I miss the beach and more so now, that I am in the mountians.

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I know that there are more of you folks out there.... just have to look at the posts more.... Mountain jacks, flat landers, I know some of you may have even gone to Hawaii and played at Wikakiki (sp) beach... that is the easyest place in the world to surf... except at "San Onofre", or Palos Verdes "paddleboard cove" all in California. You've heard the "Beach Boys" song "Surfing USA"...."Redondo Beach, LA.." ....My home town.

I have some pics that I'l post of the Big waves we encountered at Xmas 2005. I could not get my boat in the ocean.... it was closed out... Rock cod fishing was excellent prior to the waves.... the biggest surf that I have seen in 50 years of watching waves...
    Oh I have some pics of me doing this stuff....I was a local "Surf Photographer"... thats how I got started taking sport photography, but that was many years ago....and that was before the movie JAWS came out...
    Hell, I have surfed with killer whales in the water, but white sharks eat seals, and I look like a big lame seal now .....as I lay on my belly now I look like one of the those Penguins.... My arms barly get into the water.

bayrunner ray

6. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I've been on a surf board, more than once ... but it would be a slap in the face of surfers the world over to say I have been "surfing". :happy:
    Born and raised on the north Texas coast, it just does not get the waves (hurricane exception) needed to truely surf.
    Now I have been kicking back on a board, with a few to many rum drinks, drifting the rolling water of the Caribbean .... DUDE !!! :big_smile:

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Some pictures of what we Locals call "Big Wednesday xmas 05.

When the surf is big... the local beach break "closes out" only the best off the best even try to get out.... Here are some Point Breaks where it is easier to get out... but there is no beach... "just all rocks"

Boy sitting on the beach and being older and wiser is tough

bayrunner ray