Surface drive / shallow water outboards

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mtrimble, Mar 5, 2007.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What are the pro's and con's of a surface drive compared to a traditional outboard. I've been looking around and have seen long-tail and short-tail surface drives.

What has been you alls experiences with these motors. Good, Bad?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Good=Mine did everything it said it would.Bad=no reverse.Sticks out behind the boat.Makes for awkward seating and transporting.Were I healthy,I would buy one again.I feel that I got as much or more than I paid for with the 9 HP.Go-Devil.Few boats will take what the motor will or stand up to where the motor will take it.They should be even better now.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    How to they handle in choppy water?

A guy in the paper is selling a 2005 16 ft john w/ a 25 mud buddy for 4500. Good deal or no?

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Choppy water handling is up to the boat with a Go-Devil like it is with conventional boats.It would plane up on the cavitation plate with speed and drop a Little on slow.I use to run a 28 inch long conventional shaft 8 horse to keep the prop submerged when offshore in a blow.It controlled and handled way better than my 20 inch 40 HP in rough weather.The Go-Devil is not a surface drive as I am familiar with,like in the racing boats with the special props that run half in and half out of the water.I ordered a Weedless prop on mine,and it worked great.It would jump my boat over logs 8-12 inches out of the water once I learned how to use it.Now shallow sandy running will eat on the prop as it will all props.I got it mainly to run in the shallows,trash and weeds.Great in trashy water where a conventional motors water pump system stays plugged.Next best thing that I ever found was the small Mercury's with the shallow water drive and the water pump inlet directly above the prop.I know nothing about the "Mud Buddy".I was completely satisfied with the Go-Devil where the Mercury couldn't;t go.Wish you the best of luck! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee