Surf/shore fishing for sharks

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by veryama1975, Sep 14, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    When I was down in Port Charlotte, Florida a few months ago I caught a small bonnet-head shark on a piece of frozen shrimp. It was awesome for this Michigan boy who'd never fished in the ocean before! It tasted pretty good too.

I would like to learn more about shark fishing. In particular shark fishing from shore. If anybody can tell me the name of a really good book on shark fishing from shore I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    matt i don't know if there's a book on shark fishing from the beach,but there are a few sites where they talk about it(pm me) and i have done it on a smaller scale for sharks under 5 feet. the guys in texas fish for really big sharks a guy i know targets big tiger sharks the biggest i know of him landing is 11 ft and somewhere around 1000lbs i think. they have some cool setups down there like he has a fighting chair mounted in the bed of his truck and when they get a pickup they put the rod in the truck and drive up and down the beach until they land it. we have done something like that here minus the truck just lob some fish heads out and wait during the day its the best way to clear the beach whenever we beach a 3-5ft sandbar shark everybody gets out of the water. i might have a pic of a smaller one if you're interested.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Heres a web site that has pretty good info on shark fishing from the surf. Really though its trial and error. I use a tekota 800 trolling reel with 550 yards of 80# powerpro on a 6' heavy roller rod. I put 80 feet of 100# mono as a shock leader. On the end of that is 6 feet of 400# cable and 4' of 400# hagwire. Everything needs to be tied together with 400# swivels. I noramlly use 2 # 11 hooks and either a 12" blue or ladyfish as bait. To get it where i want I use a kayak. generally paddle out between the second and third sand bars. Good luck to you. the seasons about over now. Got about another month.

http://www.notsoboringlife.com/shark-fishing/guide-to-shark-fishing/

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to shore fish for leopard sharks alot in Calif. They bit best around breedig time which was in july. I would go fishing on the 4th for years. :wink:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know of a good book, but I used to belong to a shark fishing club when I lived in the St. Petersburg area. Incidentally, the hammerhead, and it's cousin the bonnethead, are one of the poorer tasting sharks. Sharks taste very good; stingrays taste even better.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They outlawed shark fishing from the beach this year in Alabama and I read where FL was going to do the same bad for business

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I can't belive that they really think that shark fishing from the beach causes shark attacks. The sharks already have to be there to catch them. Not to mention 95% of shark fishing is done at night also. It irritates the crap out of me how they come up with stuff. Most shark bites are by accident anyways and the fish lets go when he realizes.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I love it! Fighting chair mounted on the back of the truck and chase the fish with the truck. That's really cool!

9. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I can't wait to try other kinds then because that bonnethead tasted pretty good.

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
  11. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  12. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Nice! I know that sharks get a lot bigger but that size shark there would be plenty big enough for me. I'd love to catch one like that. The shark I caught was a lot smaller.

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
  14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I saw a guy on t.v one time that is a guide on the texas coast. he surf fishes for different species throughout the year and seemed like he really knew his stuff. He had an old bronco that was rusted out down to the frame. He would cruise down the beach doing about 50 mph looking for birds feeding on baitfish, when he found what he was looking for he would put the brakes on and jump out of the truck. Him and his party would frantically grab the gear and hammer in the rod holders into the sand and bait up the surf rods. Making long 200 yd cast out into the sea, they caught some good fish on that show. He was like an old beach bum.....he said at one point in his life he lived on the beach for about 20 yrs.....I forget what his name is, something spanish i think......he's a legend down there , i'm sure some of ya have heard of him.

15. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Yes, it is. He's a killer blacktip.

If you squint, you can see how he was trying to bite my finger off!

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How do they think they are going to stop shark fishing in alabama I have been waiting all year for our trip down there and they are going to stop me from fishing from the surf. I guess I am going to have to look into that.

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    You can target smaller sharks pretty much 36" or under with basic tackle and the athorities can't say you are fishing for sharks. You just can't be down there with a big reel, kayak, and 10 feet of cable on the end of your line:crazy:. Then you'll get caught. Shark fishing is banned in alot of coastal cities and few even know about it. Tybee Island georgia is one of them. I had no idea until the locals told me.

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well we usually just throw a chunk of lady fish on a 3 foot leader and let it rip and have done quite well in the past. I use the same tackle when I am trying for blues and reds so I don't see how they can get on my case.

19. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    you'll be fine. I think its BS anyways. Shark attacks will always happen. The politicians are just trying to make the vacationers happy. By that I mean the real tourists that have no clue what they are swimming with. I find it quite amusing personally. One night a lady walked up and asked what I was fishing for, when I told her she was beside herself then laughed and said "theres no sharks here". What the politicians should be doing is educating the public on what to wear in the water and what to do or not to do in the event of a bite. Instead they think buy banning sharkin from the beach that the problem will magically go away.