Surf Rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Hopper, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone use surf rods for cat fishing? The reason I ask is that I have a 12' Ocean Master spinning rod rated for 6-12oz with a Diawa Emblem 6000 reel with 20# test, an 11' Sealine X spinning rod rated for 4-7oz with an Emblem 5000 with 17# test, and a 9' Eliminator spinning rod rated 1-6oz with no reel right now but I am looking at BG30 for it. Would any of these set ups work well for catching cats?

Right now I use a 7' Fenwick muskie rod with an ABU 6500 and looking to add to my arsenal.

Thank you for any input.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use spinning rods from 9ft to 15ft for cats. they work well for me. I have 20lb big game on all my reels

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use a surf rod. I have a Solaris Surf Rod (12' Med. Heavy)
    IM6 graphite blanks Fuji components Sure grip cork wrap Soft touch EVA handles. I have it paired with a Penn GTO 60# Spider original. Can't go wrong with it.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use 10-11 ft surf rods for big cats. I've got a Diawa sealine shv reel on all of mine, it's a baitcaster reel with clicker. I've got Hatteras Heaver rods, custom made in Nags Head, NC. All make super catfish rods, they cast a mile and they have alot of back back bone and set the hook great!

I would say that what you are talking about getting sounds great for big cats. Those Diawa emblem reel's are awesome reels too. Good luck. :)

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Surf rods will work just fine and they are built for long cast and hard abuse

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Robb, about how many yards can you cast out?

Jaime

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where i do most of my fishing flats rarely exceed 40 lbs so i use those berkley reflex 10 footers. theyre not really stiff and are more like a heavy noodle rod and will cast quite a ways out with a 'gill. match up your surf for the size of fish your after, you obviously dont want those ocean masters for fish under 25 lbs, takes all the fun out of it.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    All I use is my 5 surf spinning rods. It sounds like you have a great rod for Flatheads. I like the 2-8 oz but what you have would be even better for river fishing, heavy sinkers and big baits. Congrats!

<><Baitkiller><>

9. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i use ocean masters for cats....12' heavy baitcast versions......gets the bait way out there with my diawa sealine x 30 shv mag and diawa sl30sh

10. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

if you fishing in a boat long rods are a bad idea....on shore excellent

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah your right.....long pole's are almost always a bad idea in a boat.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a new 10 foot surf rod on one of my reels and i dont like it at all.As a matter of fact im trying to get rid of it.For some reason i just cast better with 8 foot rods,10 footers are just to big for me.Ive only used it mabe six times,anyone interested?

13. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    you think that 10ftr is bad you should try throwing my 15 ft silstar it is a pain in the bass

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    What kind, how much will ya take for it? Got any pics?

15. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Surf rods are fantastic for "long range" fishing from shore. There's no reason that an average caster shouldn't be hitting 250' plus casts with ease with a rod in the 10-13 foot range. It is important, though, to match the rod to the weight you're casting. Surf rods usually "load" the best in the middle of their range. That Ocean Master rated for 6-16 oz will cast best with 8,10 or 12 ounces of lead plus bait. Anything less than that, you've gotta be GOOD to load the rod. That's an ART :) Really good casters - that would be World Class casters - can hit 350 to 400 feet with this type of rod using a typical beach cast and 8 and bait.

If anybody is having trouble, it may be as simple as matching the weight to the rod. It is also NOT a good idea to cast as much weight as I mentioned with a spinning rod and bare index finger. That is - if you want to keep the flesh attached to your finger. :eek:

/Scott

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah.....I use baitcaster's on my surf rods.....spinning rods can diffently tear your finger up with big weights....but baitcasters can tear your thumb up if you dont do it just right or if your constantly casting big weights. Overall I think baitcaster surf rods are the best....Just my opinion though. :) I usually only use spinning rods for throwing jigs and light weights..... :)

good luck :)

17. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I actually use a piece of 10 speed inner tube on my thumb when I'm casting my surf rods. It's primarily to help me hold onto the spool and keep it from slipping when the rod is fully loaded on the cast. After the bait is on it's way, the spool is on it's own until touchdown. THen I grab the spool with my thumb to stop it from spinning. If you try to thumb the spool when casting a surf rod, especially with rubber on your thumb, it can burn and weaken the line.

One point I forgot to make on my above post is that a shock leader reeled all the way onto the spool (about one layer) is very important if using mono. Anything from about 6 and bait up requires at least a 50 pound leader. The knot can sure tear your thumb up as well if it's not placed on the spool at the edge.
    /Scott

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmmm....didnt think of that.....good tip man. :)

And your right a shock leader is very important I use one almost all the time even if I'm not using a big weight. It can really help to have a shock leader in saltwater fishing if your fishing for sharks because there skin can cut the line, and they can cut it with thier tail. I believe it's good to always use a shock leader no matter what. :)

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    its a 10 foot silistar bigwater Limit rod.You looking to buy or trade?I dont have any pics at the moment.I dont have a way to send pics online but if you or anyone else is interested i could mybe send you one. as of the price thats a good question ill have to think about that but it wouldnt be much cause im wanting to get rid of it so i can get another rod before spring.heck make me an offer.