Surf fishing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    what is the eastiest way to hook up with larger fish in the surf. when i go out all i end up getting are spot and whitting. perhaps flounder, blues, anything that will put up a fight.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I will let you know when I find out, Man I am right there with you I just returned from Topsail NC and thats all I caught, small pin fish whitting and a few small mullet and one small blue...and don't forget those dang crabs

I think water temp and bait selection will dictate your catch the cooler the water the better the fishing and if you can cast out past the breakers with a nice live mullet that should definitely increase your chances of catching a big fish....

I know the Cape Hatteras, NC. boasts some really good surf fishing in the fall and winter but have not had the opportunity to try

Remember this goes without saying use some good wire leaders, saltwater fish are very teethy critters and you would hate to have a big blue on or king and loose it because of a cut line...

Sorry I cant offer more advice....

good luck!!!!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The bait you are fishing with is too small, if you're catching those little fish. You need to be able to cast at least a 100 yards, and use big chunks of cut bait or as suggested by John a Live Mullet. I don't use Steel leader in the surf unless I know there are Kingfish or very toothy fish running because most of the time other fish like Red Fish won't bite if you have a steel leader. If you want to catch an easy big fish, use cut-bait at night in the surf for Sharks, and definitely use Steel leader in this case.

4. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    If your like me, you surf fish in the summertime. I think you will have better luck in October and Novemeber when the stripers run. A lot of times you can catch them right where the waves are breaking, not too far out.

Personally, I like to catch the croakers and mullet and could catch them all day long and not complain. Then when I get a Skate I feel like I've hooked into a whopper! My best surf fish catch was a 22" striper, and it wasn't even a legal keeper! so as you can see, your not alone when it comes to catching the little guys!.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The little guys make good bait for the BIG guys...that I know.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am like you.The little fish are the great eating fish.If you people will notice the flesh of the big fish.Those streaks in the flesh are usually worms.They don;t hurt you when cooked,but most never check,and find out what they are.A live croaker is considered prime bait for many surf to offshore species of fish.They do work great at times.peewee-williams

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    A soft shell crabb is hard to beat I am going to Va in Nov to fish with my Son Thats when the Big Stripers come In We fish in a boat I may stop in N C to do some surf fishing:0a23:

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

Let me know if you do come to NC.

9. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Along the Gulf coast locally from Galveston Island to Freeport's Byan Beach (where I primarily fish) is boilin right now with huge bull redfish. Whether ya like to eat em or not the thrill of fighting a 40+ lb'er is awesome from the beach!!

We use bull mullet with the tails docked and heads split then hook in the meat and through the bone with a large circle hook. We make our leaders out of 400" mono or seven strand and use 8oz surf weights.

10. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i would kill for a fight on the beach like that. nice fish in your picture..bet that puppy put up some kinda fight:smile2:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Surf fishing is overwhelming to alot of people when you are faced with miles of open beach to fish.
    First, this time of the year the finger mullet are running so carry the cast net.
    That is the bait of choice for me for flounder, drum, blues, and trout.

Watch the beach. You got to know what you are looking at.
    I'm no pro at it but I can read a decent hole once in a while.
    First look at the sand itself. You want to find a small area of small pebbles and boken shell. Real thick in quantity.
    Once you find such a spot look in and around it for sand flea shells.

What makes these piles of pebbles and broken shell?
    Now you watch the water. The waves come in and waves go out.
    You'll notice "sets of waves coming in that may not be connected.
    They crash on the beach and the water runs up the sand.

Now you want to look where receeding waves converge and funnel back out together.
    This is usually where your shell/pebble piles are.
    Fish here!
    Where that water receeds it will leave sloughs or scour holes and breaks through sandbars. These are ambush points.
    Flounder will lay in the holes waiting for a meal to come by.

We used to think we had to cast 150 yards to catch fish but learned that the wind often dictates how far one is to cast. You would be amazed at the 20-50 pound drum that are caught with a cast just involving the flick of the wrist. Often times people are fishing way past the fish.

I'll heave one out to the second or third set of breakers and use another rod to start fishing the sloughs and holes. If the water isnt muddied from the wind of the past few days you'll do the best catching close to shore in those sloughs and holes.
    If the water is muddy, break out the tater guns and the Hatteras heavers.
    The only thing you'll catch in mud is sand sharks.

I never use wire leader.
    If I'm going for blues I carolina rig or fish finder rig with 50-80 pound leader.
    Flounder fishing is finesse fishing. you'll want to use lighter lines and light leaders, light weight and a rod with some feel. No broom sticks.
    Flounder have a subtle bite and more times then not you'll miss the bite fishing with heavy tackle.

Typically we use 20 and even 14 pound line for drum fishing. Drum that will go up to 50 pounds.

If you venture to Hatteras and want to get into the congo line when they are hitting hard watch for a little while before jumping in line. Ask around and see what pound test line they are using and what size and type of weight and match it.
    Then get in the tail end of the line.
    This is close quarters fishing and you walk with your line as the current carries it down the beach.
    When you get to the end you reel in and return to the end of the line and go again. Its imperative you match line and sinkers so everyone has the same drift otherwise you might find yourself stuffed head first into the backside of the nearest dune.

Dont get caught up in trying to make your weight hold bottom. Fishing on the outerbanks you would have to be chunking 2 pounds of lead to attempt it most times.
    Most times I use 4 or 5 oz weights, pyramid or no roll. As it drifts it will drop into holes and may hold for a little while and then continue on.

As Zakk said, the first place to start is with bait selection. Cut mullet or whole finger mullet dead or alive is the way to go. That will get you into the ballgame. Then just learn to read the beach and the surf.

Nothing is more exciting then watching the blues blitz the beach. They'll chase the finger mullet right up out of the water and on to the beach.
    Blues school by size. If you are catching 1-3 pounders thats whats in that school. When you get into the schools holding the 5-10 pounders, now thats just downright fun. It dont get much better then that to me unless its thick schools of 40 pound drum.

If you want to target drum that is best done at night on the darkest beach you can find. Keep light to a bare minimum so they'll come in close.

Tides. I tide fish. I usually start fishing on the dropping tide and gather bait.
    Then you'll have a period of slack tide and the tide starts coming in.
    Usually if I'm watching my lines I can tell the exact moment it changes because my lines will shift. Its then that the bite comes on for me most of the time. Sometimes instantly.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some good information. I will add that on the east coast you can when the sun is just right see the fish in the waves as they crest. Any times you see small bait fish shallow watch these crest. I have at times fished so shallow my bait could be seen when the wave goes out. Catch my best whiting here. I think whiting is a good eating fish and you can often catch a bucket full shallow. One more thing if you have access to a inlet fish it starting 2 hours before high tide. During high tide action will die for about 20 to 30 minutes as the tide turns around, as the tide goes out bigger fish will stage nearby the inlet to ambush smaller fish going out with the current. Good luck. Enjoy.

13. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    great info guys. i use my kayak to get my baits exactly where i want them. drop in different guts then put one way out(300 yards or more)
    matt

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

How far out are you able to cast? If you can get out past the first bar are even futher you can increase you chances of catching bigger blues and other fish. Flounder will be found in places that would hold bass, around riprap, near pilings and so on. Good luck

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Benji, the schools of fish like blues are looking food.
    If you have plenty of finger mullet in the surf your odds of catching fish are better at your feet then out 150 yards.

We heaved farther and farther. Had the the special rods and the souped up reels. We found out we were throwing past the best fishing in most cases. Its weather dependent mainly from wind. Wind is what muddies the water. An onshore wind is going to keep the mud line right up on the shore. An offshore wind disipates it.
    Skates and shark are mud fish. If its muddy have fun catching them unless you can heave past the mud. Look at spending 700 bucks for a chance to get past a mud line. If the mud is 250 yards off the beach heaving aint going to help no more then dangling a shrimp at your feet.
    The best solution is to call ahead and definately watch the weather for a few days leading up to your trip. If its muddy I aint wasting the time, money, or gas.

I've waded out to knee deep to cast (farther is better right?) and been knocked down by a red drum that would have topped 30 pounds. The fish was swimming in a wave that came up to about my stomach.
    I would have been an idot to have continued to wade and make those long casts.
    I saw many more in the the last set of breakers that day. Sometimes as the waves crested you could see 50-75 bruiser red drum swimming in them at one time.

Watch the guys that spend alot of time surf fishing the NC coast that consistenly have the best catches and take notes.
    I have a cousin that is in several surf fishing tournaments a year. He always places in the money. You wont find him heaving. Alot of times he is practically fishing at his feet.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark your comments are true and I do keep one rod closer to shore and one rod in the "blue water". I was just coming back to state that exact point. 750 foot cast is a smoker I know I can't hit that, lol, but it hasn't stopped me from trying. Thanks

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I used to try to throw all my surf rods out as far as i could when i first started surf fishing. Now I never throw them out as far as i can. i usually use 3 rods at a time at different lengths. The more i surf fish the better i get but it takes some time just like any fishing to get the hang of it and catch fish.

Wheelmobile07

18. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    what kind of rig should i use? bait? and how far? just to catch the big guys

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Double drop rig, big hooks, with pyramid sinker. Use one of those small fish your catchin, the head, or whole fillet. I throw as far as I can w/9ft rod, and slowy bring it in.

20. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    You could always use light tackle like a bass rod and small spinning reel and then the small will give you the fight your looking for. and when you do hook up with the bigger fish you'l have more of a feel on how to fight them.