Surf fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey there im Rajun_Cajun from kansas. im egtting ready to leave i about a day to head up to south carolina to go surf fishing with my dad out in hilton head. i was wondering if i should cirlce hooks out on the beach or just plain of J-hooks. if you could tell me that would be awsome cause this is gonna be my first time surf fishing there:embarassed:
    -thanks

2. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    i used j hooks, worked good caught a few sharks lol

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Rajun

I am stationed down here in South Carolina, Hilton Head is only about 30 minutes away. I would suggest using some squid, I mainly fish the local creeks. You will catch alot of black tip shark and some stingrays.

chris

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

depends on what your fishing with and for. If your after smaller fish like spot and crocker #4-#6 j hooks are great if after bigger fish I would use a 7/0 sea circle. good luck

5. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    i dont know any cajuns from kansas

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Definitely use J-Hooks, or Khale Hooks. I wouldn't use Circle Hooks for anything, but that's just me.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Cory, it all depends on what species you are after. The most common hook used around here is probably the j-hook in sizes to 'fit'. More and more people are using circle hooks for redfish, drum, grouper, and others that are often catch/release. DNR studies show a much better survival rate with circle hooks. I have even started using them for smaller fish like whiting and such 'table' fish. They work great, but I still use j-hooks more than circles, and I use kahles in 2/0 or so. Like I said, you need to match the hook to the species. If you only want to use one style, just stay with the j-hook. The local tackle shops can recommend what you need.
    Good Luck on your trip.