Surf fishing, what lb test do you use?

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 7, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    30 lb test is usually the largest I use for surf fishing. If I'm after redfish or something like that i will use like 20 lb test. But for sharks and stuff I will use 25 lb or 30 lb test.

good luck :)

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    40 pound power pro is what I'll use this year.

3. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I personally like to use 12lb with a 20lb leader. As long as you set your drag right you should'nt have a problem. I've hauled in sharks, blues, stingrays, redfish, sheepshead, whiting...etc etc. All on 12lb test. Almost all of my breakoffs have occurred where the leader meets the hook, either because my knot was sloppy or the fish bit clean through the leader.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I will use 25 to 30 for sharks as I fish for the 5 footers and bigger but for other fish I use 10 to 15.

5. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

get a diawa slx 20/30 shv or a slosh 20/30 or a 525 mag.....these are the most popular reels right now that are being put on ocean masters and other heavers in va and north carolina...all are proven fish catchers with good drags and excellent castability.....you wont be disappointed...ive got two 12' ocean masters. on one ive got a diawa slx 30 shv with a wheels reels mag plate on the other lies a sl30sh.id spool up with 17 lb test mono(i use suffix tritanium)and a shockleader of at least 40 lbs...if you are going for big fish in the suds braid is bad....your bait and sinker will actually bury itself if it does not have a slow drift...braid is very thin and prevents drifting....also if you have a big fish and you need to grab the line and drag the fish upshore braid will cut you...i am a fan of braid but it has its place in fishing and its not on a heaver....to answer your origional question i never use more than 17 lb mono.ive cought sharks, cobia, and big rays and have yet to have my line break .....the 17 allows for max distance....no need to use 30 unless you are targeting large sharks...on my sting silver rod i run 10 lb mono with a 20-30 lb shock leader

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I've got a diawa slx 30 shv on a Hatteras Heaver rod I got made in Nag's Head. I love the set-up I use it for catfishing too and it's awesome. The reel is awesome, High speed, very powerful, smooth, I give it a A++..... ;)

good luck :)

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i use 25# for anything in these waters you just gotta set the drag right....