Sure is quiet here...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 14, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Where's everybody been? Very few posts this week so either you're all out fishing or busy doing other things.

I took my brother and sister-in-law drift fishing near G14 on Saturday and it wasn't much of a trip. We were late getting on the water - had a hard time catching shad at the Windsor city pond. We considered just getting on the water and finding shad there, but I'm glad we didn't - the water was muddy and the wind was awful and I couldn't have found a shad to save my life.

Then the wind was blowing better than 20 mph and drifting sideways was a disaster. We made a few more passes with the drift socks out the front of the boat which made the ride more bearable.

Once the sun went over the horizon, the wind almost stopped, which was just as bad as no wind at all. We were off the water by 9:30pm.

Only caught 4 fish altogether and only was was keeper size. Ended up throwing him back.

My boat just isn't big enough for 3 people to fish out of, especially when 2 of the three are restless and can't sit still. Had an impossible time getting my brother to lay off grabbing the rod every time it twitched - tried to explain how circle hooks work but not sure I got through. Overall, it was a long evening and not a stellar fishing experience. Oh well, better luck next time.

On the plus side, however, I got my new bait tank from Ed's Bait Tanks (dot com) and got to try it out - kept my shad alive and fiesty for better than 4 hours, which is better than they ever did in the livewell. Once I've had a chance to use the tank some more, I'll post an more thorough review.

So what have the rest of you been up to?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: not much going on over this way. like you said its so darn windy you can't hardly get out and do anything. did go up on Salt River yesterday for awhile but no luck. just a couple of little bites. wind wasn't too bad where i was at. the banks sort of blocked it off. seems to me the fish are awful slow about biting this year so far anyway. maybe its just me and where i go.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Not much fishing going on over here for me lately...been busy all spring doing work around the house. Built a new deck, 14 X 42, and put in a new driveway into the property and a large concrete approach infront of the garage. Been very busy trying to get all these "projects" finished before it got to darn hot out. There all finished and now I'm ready to hit the river and catch ol' mr whiskers:big_smile:

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Not much fishing here either...I figgered while we had all this wind and cooler temps I would get the yard taken care of so it don't get in the way of fishin..LOL....man it was tall from all the rain...all I have left to do now is some trimming and then back to fishin!...:)

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    My son just called and he was at the house this weekend (on LOZ) and they caught some crappie and nice eating size catfish. Didn't keep anything but said they had a good time. Just the guys went down as his father-in-law just learned Friday that he has prostate cancer. Kind of a let's get away from every thing trip. I guess my grandson caught his first fish by himself and I missed it. If that ain't enough to make a dog eat her pups! Oh well, they had fun, I worked, whoopeee! His Grandma is having poop fits because she wasn't there, guess I'll hear about this for awhile.lol

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Bill your workin to hard buddy!:confused2: ...LOL....The lake is full and the fish are bitin...ya NEED to take a week and come down and relax!:big_smile: Tell work you have an emergency you need to tend to out of state(your sanity)....LMAO...Come on home to the lake and join the rest of us crazies.:wink:

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We were going down in April and we both got sick and have been coughing for the last 3 weeks. We both just about had to walk out of Church today because of our coughing. Getting better now but still having small coughing fits. We are leaving the 23rd, next Tuesday and will be down until the long weekend is over. Hope to do a little work on the dock and do a lot of fishing. We shall see what happens but I know it will be good 'cause I won't be working.:big_smile:

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Sorry to hear ya and the wife have not been feelin well..:sad2: If your gonna be down during a weekdays....THATS THE TIME TO FISH! Glad to see your gonna get down here soon Bud.:big_smile:

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We only get down usually on the long weekends the longest wildest and most miserable days you don't want to be on the water. We fish a lot at night and early morning just for that reason. I still wish they would impose a speed limit on the lake like they do at night. I had a 77 corvette with a slightly hot engine and I still could only drive the speed limit, I couldn't drive around 100 miles an hour just because I could. I sold that vette when we bought the house at the lake because I wouldn't drive it on dirt roads..... and we needed a new septic tank so I'm the only person in the world to have sold their corvette to buy a poop holder. Really liked that car but I was getting a little old and big to get into it without the t-tops being off. Kind of like stuffing 270lbs of poop into a 180lb cockpit of a car. Knees just couldn't do it any longer but we have one top of the line plastic buried poop canister and as long as it's plastic like the car, what they hey.:sad2:

10. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Been busy moving, I haven't even had a chance to wet a line in the neighborhood pond:sad2:

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thats why I don't have a boat Bill...the money for the boat went to replace the septic system...seems to be the trend down here:crazy: ...LOL....but just think Bill....you can do like I do:roll_eyes: ...everytime I have to use the bathroom I pretend its a boat seat....LMAO ...or in your case...a Vett...LOL sure was pricie enough...LOL...sheesh

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Lot of honey-dos going on in NWMO,did get out sort of sat. morning.

Pony express lake had its kids crappie derby,sponsored by MDC.took grandson and granddaughter.Was beautiful-30 mph winds and 52F.degrees:angry:
    Oh,well,theres always tomorrow!!

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I like that thought of pretending I'm sitting on my vett, man listen to those pipes roar.lol
    Used to like the smell of burnt rubber but now, some how that will all be different. OK, enough is enough.
    We just got our new septic tank in and we find out now that they are going to put in sewer and water all the way around the lake. So in a few years my new poop pot will be a poop not and will be discarded. At least I won't have to dig mine up, I'm going to cut the top off it and fill it with dirt that I dig out from under the house, the start of a basement. Something to keep me busy but what do I do with the dirt after that's full? It's clean Missouri rock and gravel dirt I guess I could start filling in the ruts in the road that I pay to have taken care of but never see anyone working on it. Sift out the good dirt and deposit the rock and gravel on the road, yeah, that's the ticket. Have to do it after dark, sneak down the road with a couple buckets of rock and quietly dump them out and rake them level and run like heck. Could be the start of my second childhood, but I wish it would of waited until the first one was over.lol

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Whoa Bill...get a grip buddy!...LMAO...pretty soon you will be telling us you have a floor mounted Vett throttle pedal you use to flush with(just to enhance the experience):confused2: :roll_eyes: :big_smile: .....LMAO