super spreader cast net

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by bluecatnut, Dec 17, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    what do you all think of the super spreader cast net looking at getting one

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I had one, thing is.... I noticed no difference between it and a real cheap wal-mart net......I usually go to wal-mart and get a 7-8 foot, 3/4 mesh, cast net for like $22. They catch me plenty of bait and they last pretty long and are just as easy to use as the "Super Spreader" cast nets (IMO). Good luck :)

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought my supper spreaders from walmart they are decent nets..Make sure you get the mono net..Now for a much better and longer lasting net and just as cheap, I reccomend the betz tyzac net, you can get them from catfish connection..The tzac nets will stand up to more abuse than the super spreaders

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i try to get the cheapest net i can find since im so hard on em. but the best net ive used is an old salt brand. theyre expensive though. i really dont see much difference between the cheeper ones. just make sure you dont get the ones with the small mesh, theyre a pain in the $$$.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, I didnt know they had Super Spreader cast nets at Wal-Mart.....I got a super spreader in florida from a bait shop and it was pretty expensive. :sad:

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Are the spreaders the ones with the ring in them?
    If they are I would recomend getting a "regular" style net and learning how to throw it. As stated earlier .... get a mono net if available they are a lot tougher with snags and will outlast with normal use.
    I generally use the cheap 20$ variety from wal-mart. Two a year is what I expect on buying since where I fish is full of snags

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    all i got to say is those super spreader nets are nothing but a #@&#ing pile of $#@# i got two now that are riped up one only lasted on the first cast caught it on the edge of the dock riped a huge hole in it some how id say you are better off buying anything else but a supper spreader i dont think they are easy to cast like the video says the man says he can cast a supper spreader 50 feet out into the lake and make it open up fully thats bs i usely buy the ceap 15 dollar ones at walmart they last me about half a year

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I bought me a new net from CC, have used it yet. I cant cast it but my fishing partner can. :D

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i already know how to throw a cast net but i thought i might give one a try just so i can be one of jurors next time some one asks about them

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I got mine at walmart and it served well, but the snags will sure tear them up if you just keep pulling. Check your local game laws!!! Illinois limits you to about 3' radius and small mesh (3/8ths I think). I have never had my net checked, and the local Missouri guys use bigger nets on the mississippi, but the wrong situation and officer could cause problems. Hannibal Mike

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have one that had (HAD) thie ring on it . The ring has been removed for better casting purposes(that ring is a joke in my oppinion).

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I have a rather large castnet and can only get a good throw ever once in awhile. Bluecatnut has a regular cast net and he can throw it as well as mine veryweel. Sunday he had the one with aring in it, and it seemed easy for him to throw.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If this is your first time startin with cast nets, you might as well get two (2) right up front.

<><Baitkiller><>

14. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Illinois regs. state that a castnet can be no larger than 8' in diameter and mesh size no larger than 3/8". :D