super simple homemade rodholders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by playin4funami, Sep 2, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    First of all Hi guys ,new here!

I make my own bank fishing rod holders at home with leftovers from other projects,and these are tough and easy to make.

first I reused a old metal angle iron bedframe and cut out peices of the angle iron approximatly 6 foot long with a 90 degree or straight across cut on each end,then cutting toward the center cut out a V-shaped notch so that both peices end up having a tapered point at the inside bend on the angle iron. then I simply cut some 12 inch long peices of 2" heavy duty conduit that was salvaged from a construction site and layed them in the angle iron flush with the flat cut end,hooked up the welder and tacked it heavily at three points on each side. smooth out any rough sharp points with a file and your ready to go fishing! My catfishing friends liked them so much that they threw away their store bought ones after I made them some up. My one friend made some up for his brother in law but didn't have axcess to a welder(I wasn't home) and attatched the pipe to the angle iron with duct tape wrapped tightly at each end of the pipe and says it's still working great. A coat of spray paint in white or some other easy to see in low light color is nice if you are so inclined. oviously you have to fish where these can be driven into the ground,and If you fish from sandbars or beaches add a extra foot of angle iron to each for a great hold in the sand. You can also put two together at opposing ends so that the pipe on each lays in the point end pipe of the other and wrap a light bungee cord around each end and a strap between the two for easy carrying if you have to walk far.
    I usually use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle and these fit right in and work great and the angle iron holds way better than round stock

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That would've been a good article to submit in the article forum. Anyhow thanks for sharing.:wink:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sounds good Don. Welcome to the BOC.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don Welcome to the Brotherhood. Thanks for sharing your rod holder review.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Do you have any pictures to post of them?

6. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Welcome to the BOC. That's a good idea there; pics would be great if you have them. :wink:

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Sorry about putting this in the wrong place! And I don't have any pics stored and my camera got dropped in the water and fried so I'm looking for a new one(shirt pocket,bent over to grab a fish,splash,cuss,cuss) but will try to get a new cam soon and I will make a how to pic post in the correct forum. they are simple and cheap,but hold even with big cats pulling,just a peice of 1 1/2x1 1/2 angle iron and a peice of pipe with an inside diameter big enough to fit the butt end of your biggest cat rod in.