Super Secret Trotline Catfish Bait ssshhh!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by CatfishNuggets, Mar 28, 2007.

1. CatfishNuggets

CatfishNuggets New Member

State:
    SC
    I know some of you boys don't like us trotliners, but I is what I is and here's my post.

Last time at Santee(Lake Marion) , I ran across some boys from Greenwood using some stuff that they called "red oil". I found it at Wal Mart as Baitmate Classic Fish Attractant for Catfish. Those old boys swore by it and marinated deer meat chunks for trotline bait. My secret bait up until this point was my top secret garlic chicken livers. I make garlic chicken livers by climbing up on my hot roof and putting chick livers up there (on the back side of the roof that's not facing the road so I don't get kicked out of the neighborhood) Then I cover them with salt and garlic salt and let them dry out for a few days. This makes them pretty tough so they will stay on the hook when casting and also on the infamous trotlines.

I am headed to Lake Marion next week (Good Friday), but with a new recipe. I made the garlic chicken livers and sprayed the "red oil" on them. Any of y'all ever use this stuff?

How's the fishing at Lake Marion right now?

Jimbo
    :cool2:

PS: You know you're a redneck if you put chicken livers on your roof for catfish bait.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    not from your area and your right i dont agree with trotlining but what you do is your business , sounds like your bait should work well , iv also heard of chicken breasts soaked in cherry cool aid you might try that too . let us all know how it turns out .

3. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a bottle of it in the boat, but have not used it for a few months. Last time we tried it, it seemed to make the fish stop biting. Have not tried it since, but maybe I should?

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...You know you're a redneck if you put chicken livers on your roof for catfish bait..."

Touche.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hmm Im not sure bout the red stuff but the livers sound good. do they stink up the place making them and what do you do to keep the bugs out?

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive used it a lot on the ouchita and arkansas rivers.it works real wel on channel cats and small blues.course i was spraying it on catalpa worms.that may have helped.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i think trotlining is pretty awesome though i don't do it much. thanks for the tip!

8. CatfishNuggets

CatfishNuggets New Member

State:
    SC
    The definitely have a smell, but the garlic salt makes it smell like you are cooking something so it's not so bad. With them up on the top of the house, the smell is minimized. When I take them with me, I put them back in the plastic containers I bought the livers in, which are airtight and reduce the smell in the boat. The plastic tubs keep the bugs out too.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I bought a bottle of that red junk and tested it on several trotlines by putting a small piece of 'attractant' soaked cloth on every 5th hook Some of these hooks also had fresh cut shad on them; some had just the cloth. No hook with 'attractant' caught any fish over a period of several days. Lots of cats, mostly blues, were caught on hooks without 'attractant'. As a result, I have to regard that stuff as a 'repellant' rather than an 'attractant'.

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I am also a trotliner.I have never tried any kind of attractant on any lines,but I am willing to try it.Thanks for the tip.

11. simplecaveman

simplecaveman New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Never used chicken livers, I always catch shad for my trotlines. I'm looking for something that's a little tougher (staying power) Thanks.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Adam, if you want to try something that really stays on the hook, try salt pork or chiterlings seasoned with salt & garlic powder, anise, or shrimp flavoring from ramen noodles.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

That's funny Jerry, you got a way with words.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks. Since the statute of limitations has run out, I'll 'fess up to the following 'morally right, but illegal' act. I was jugging & trotlining on the Arkansas River between Dardanelle and Morrilton, and was just about to run out of my fresh shad when I saw a big striper, all white & bloated, floating down the river. Now, this fish was long past doing anybody any good, so morally I was right in cutting it up for bait--but it was definitely illegal. I found that the turtles would eat most of the meat right off the skin, but that they were unable to clean off that last 1/4" or so, which was enough to still attract the catfish; and the skin was tough. I caught as many cats off that one striper as I had all day on freshly netted shad. Needless to say, I was very careful to remove any traces of the skin from all hooks when I was through fishing for the day.
    I've tried using cut drum with very poor results; carp are supposed to be much better--and they're legal here in Arkansas.

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is a suggestion for you guys. i am not a trotliner or anything, but it should work well. get an old container (metal or plastic) that has a resealable lid. i use an old ice cream container, you know the big ole bucket ones. not becuase i like them, but because i am cheap and they work well for this process (a coffe can will work good too). get some good old generic chicken liver, 3 or 4 tubs should be good, a bunch of salt and garlic powder or oil, and whatever other seasonings you think the kitties might like. mix a bunch of salt and your other dry seasoning ingredient together. put a layer of you salt mixuture in the bottom of your container, about 1/4 inch deep. put a layer of chicken livers in there (just lay em in there flat). now cover them with more of your salt mixture. keep doing this cycle until you have filled up your container or till you get as much as you want. put the lid on it and seal it up. take the whole shibang out to the garage, storage shed, on the back porch or where ever a bunch of cats cant get in it. let it sit for a couple of days and then check on them. dont open it when your old lady is around or you will never be allowed back in the house thats for sure. they should bee nice and tough by then and will retain alot of the garlic and salt scent. they will keep like this for a very long time if you do it right. it works good for me. let me know what you guys think